Edward R. Daughaday, retired Baltimore County police officer and state court bailiff, dies

Frederick N. Rasmussen, The Baltimore Sun
·2 min read

Edward R. Daughaday, a retired Baltimore County police officer and World War II Navy veteran, died Feb. 2 at Gilchrist Center Towson of complications from a stroke. The Mays Chapel North resident was 96.

Edward Royston Daughaday, son of William Edward Daughaday, an executive with the Boyertown Casket Co., and his wife, Alma Hopkins Erdman Daughaday, a schoolteacher, was born in Baltimore and raised on Seymour Avenue in Raspeburg, which was then part of Baltimore County. The area is now known as Hamilton and is in the city.

The Daughaday (pronounced DAW-day) family has roots in Maryland that date back 300 years. Records from 1730 state that family members lived on Hillen Road on land that today is the Mount Pleasant Golf Course. Originally Quakers, they married into the Taylor family for whom Taylor Avenue is named, and converted to Methodism.

Mr. Daughaday attended City College and three weeks before his graduation in 1942 dropped out and enlisted in the Navy. A petty officer, he served as a sonar operator aboard a destroyer in the Atlantic, Pacific and Mediterranean theaters until being discharged in 1948.

“He was 80 when he received his City College diploma in 2004,” said his daughter, Cynthia Ann Jacobson of Charlottesville, Virginia.

While working as a night-shift security guard for Bendix Radio on East Joppa Road in Towson, he met and fell in love with another Bendix employee, the former Eileen Kathleen Einig, a coil winder in the radio department.

“He would write little love notes and leave them for her to find at her work station the next morning,” his daughter said.

The couple married in 1952 and moved into a home on Warren Road in Cockeysville. In 1965, his wife died, leaving Mr. Daughaday to raise two young children. In 1968, he married Cynthia Mildred Green Winterling. The marriage ended in divorce.

In 1955, he joined the Baltimore County Police Department, where he served for 20 years as a foot patrolman assigned to Precinct 6 in Towson until retiring in 1975. He then went to work for the state as chief bailiff for the District Court of Maryland and was assigned to the courthouse in Towson. He retired a second time in 1985.

An expert model maker, Mr. Daughaday, who moved to Mays Chapel North in 2001, specialized in making museum-quality wooden models of Chesapeake Bay ships and boats, some of which could take up to a year to finish.

He was a member of Mays Chapel United Methodist Church and was a 32 1/4 u00ba Mason.

Services were private.

In addition to his daughter, Mr. Daughaday is survived by a son, Michael Daughaday of Taneytown; two stepdaughters, Theresa Mace of Parkville and Debbie Shea of Taneytown; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.