A two-year-old boy in Elk Grove and his favorite action figure are back together again after an unexpected adventure left them separated by thousands of miles.
- Two-year-old boy in Elk Grove and his favorite action figure are back together tonight after an unexpected adventure left them separated by thousands of miles. He took his favorite Buzz Lightyear toy on a family trip to Texas, only when the family got off the plane, Buzz Lightyear was left behind.
- CBS13 Steve Large with the incredible rescue operation to reunite the boy with his toy.
- What's his name?
- Um, Buzz.
- Buzz? And where did you leave Buzz at?
- On the airplane.
- He got left on the airplane.
STEVE LARGE: One look at little Hagen together with his favorite toy action figure.
- All right, cadet. Are you ready for adventure?
STEVE LARGE: And you might mistake the two for twins.
- Bring him here. Uh-oh. It's OK. I know.
STEVE LARGE: Their relationship has not been all fun and games.
- To infinity and beyond.
STEVE LARGE: The two became separated on a recent family flight to Texas. Mom, Ashley, only noticing Buzz Lightyear was missing when they got to the rental car.
- And that's when the realization hit me that he's still in the airport with the plane that's probably not there anymore, because it was continuing on to Arkansas.
STEVE LARGE: With mom offering Hagen a thrilling storyline.
- And I was like, well, Buzz had to go on a space mission. He's still on the airplane.
STEVE LARGE: The employees at Southwest Airlines leapt into action.
- It was actually the name written on the bottom of the boot that helped us.
- Who's in charge here?
STEVE LARGE: Not only did they locate Buzz, they turned the misadventure into a magical moment, taking photos of Hagen's favorite toy in front of their airliners and crafting a letter explaining the action figure's great explorations.
- Says, "To Commander Hagen, I am very excited to return to you upon completing my mission."
- What's in the box?
- What's in the box, bud?
STEVE LARGE: Mom and dad recorded the video of Hagen and his space ranger's reunion.
- Is it your Buzz?
- Being a mother and having somebody go that far for your child, not even knowing them, was definitely special.
STEVE LARGE: A boy and his favorite toy.
- The nose.
- Yeah? That's his nose.
- His mouth.
STEVE LARGE: A space ranger lost. Kindness found.
- Yeah? Do you love your Buzz?