Erie history in photos: The Landsdowne, a GE picketer on horseback, Waterford Academy, more

·1 min read

Take a closer look at the Erie region and our community through images from the Erie Times-News files, from local, state and national archives and contributed from photographers like you.

Want to take part? Tag your favorite images on social media with #ErieGram, or send them, with complete caption information, to news director Christopher Millette at cmillette@timesnews.com. We'll consider them for publication in print and online for this weekly feature.

Next week we'll feature Winter Olympians with Erie connections. Send us your photos and all information on this theme by Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Find more information about Erie-area history: www.eriehistory.org

The Landsdowne is shown on Presque Isle Bay, Jan. 24, 2006, at the end of the Sassafras Street pier that would become the home of the Bayfront Convention Center. The ship was built in 1884 as a railroad car ferry. In the 1980s it was converted into a floating restaurant that operated in Detroit until the late 1980s or early 1990s. In 1999 it was towed to Erie and sank at its moorings on Dec. 25, 2005. It was scrapped in Buffalo, New York in April 2009.
The Landsdowne is shown on Presque Isle Bay, Jan. 24, 2006, at the end of the Sassafras Street pier that would become the home of the Bayfront Convention Center. The ship was built in 1884 as a railroad car ferry. In the 1980s it was converted into a floating restaurant that operated in Detroit until the late 1980s or early 1990s. In 1999 it was towed to Erie and sank at its moorings on Dec. 25, 2005. It was scrapped in Buffalo, New York in April 2009.
On Jan. 23, 1975, a Radio Shack advertised in the Erie Daily Times various deals including a Micronta quartz crystal digital electronic watch that was accurate to "+/- 1 minute per year." The watch was on sale that day for $88, which would be about $460 in 2022 dollars. At the time, Radio Shack had locations at the Eastway Plaza in Harborcreek Township and in the KMart Plaza, then called Plaza 79, at 2419 W. 26th St. The retailer, which once operated more than 5,000 outlets nationwide, closed more than 1,700 stores in 2015 after filing for bankruptcy, including four Erie County locations and one in Meadville. The KMart Plaza store remained in operation the longest, closing sometime after March 2017.
On Jan. 23, 1975, a Radio Shack advertised in the Erie Daily Times various deals including a Micronta quartz crystal digital electronic watch that was accurate to "+/- 1 minute per year." The watch was on sale that day for $88, which would be about $460 in 2022 dollars. At the time, Radio Shack had locations at the Eastway Plaza in Harborcreek Township and in the KMart Plaza, then called Plaza 79, at 2419 W. 26th St. The retailer, which once operated more than 5,000 outlets nationwide, closed more than 1,700 stores in 2015 after filing for bankruptcy, including four Erie County locations and one in Meadville. The KMart Plaza store remained in operation the longest, closing sometime after March 2017.
St. Paul Catholic Church, 1617 Walnut St., in Erie's Little Italy neighborhood, is shown on Jan. 15.
St. Paul Catholic Church, 1617 Walnut St., in Erie's Little Italy neighborhood, is shown on Jan. 15.

This article originally appeared on Erie Times-News: Erie history in photos: The Landsdowne, GE picketer on horseback, Waterford Academy

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting