By Claire Davenport BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An offer by Google to modify how it displays Internet search results could settle a long-running antitrust dispute with the European Union, the EU competition chief said on Tuesday. The world's most popular search engine has been under investigation for three years by the European Commission, which acts as the bloc's antitrust regulator, over complaints it was blocking competitors in search results. More than a dozen companies, including Microsoft, British price comparison site Foundem and German online mapping company Hotmaps, have accused it of squeezing them out of the market. Google proposed concessions in September, hoping to end a case which could otherwise lead to a fine of up to 10 percent of its global revenue, or $5 billion. Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia told lawmakers in the European Parliament on Tuesday he believed the company's offer made it easier for web users to see results from Google's rivals in Internet searches. While he said he could not lay out the precise concessions offered by the U.S. company, he said they went a long way to addressing the antitrust authority's concerns fully. "We have reached a key moment in this case," Almunia said. "Now with the significant improvements on the table, I think we have the possibility to work again. "I think that the settlement route remains the best choice," The commissioner said, adding that a decision on the case could be made next spring. Almunia said the Commission would seek feedback on Google's offer from the companies which lodged the complaints. MOBILES Almunia said it would be much easier for a user to see competing services in Google search results irrespective of which device was being used. Rival firms had worried that even if concerns around computers were addressed, search results displayed on smaller devices such as mobiles could still prevent them from appearing prominently. The new concessions would also give companies greater control to opt out of appearing in searches, Almunia said. Firms offering directories had complained that Google search showed too much of their content, making it less attractive for users to visit their site. Google, which has a market share of over 80 percent in Europe's Internet search market, had previously come up with concessions in April, telling the Commission it would mark out its services from rival products in web search results. It also proposed providing links to at least three competing search engines and making it easier for advertisers to transfer their search advertising campaigns to rival platforms. But its competitors were not satisfied, saying the proposals did not go far enough. The Commission asked Google to make a further offer and in September the company came back with more concessions. Kent Walker, Google's general counsel, said in a statement the Commission had insisted on big changes to the way the company displays search results. "While competition online is thriving, we've made the difficult decision to agree to their requirements in the interests of reaching a settlement," Walker said. (Reporting By Claire Davenport,; Writing by John O'Donnell; Editing by Pravin Char)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
Jennifer Gates, the eldest daughter of Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates, celebrated her wedding to Nayel Nassar over the weekend
- KTNV - Las Vegas Scripps
Las Vegas police are investigating a deadly freeway shooting near McCarran Airport early Monday morning.
- Atlanta Black Star
A California Construction Worker Asked a Speeding Motorist to Slow Down. He Was Shot Seven Times In Response.
The family of a California Black construction worker wants answers after their loved one was shot several times in what is now being looked at […]
- Charlotte Observer
It’s just the latest fan incident at Bank of America Stadium to go viral.
- LA Times
Baseball's brainiest team looked downright stupid after deciding to have Julio Urías pitch the eighth inning of a 5-4 NLCS Game 2 loss to the Braves.
- Yahoo Sports
It doesn't get much uglier than what happened in Knoxville on Saturday night. The question is what's going to be done about it.
He's taking the news "really bad."
- E! News
Nearly two months after hockey player Jimmy Hayes passed away at the age of 31, widow Kristen Hayes said she's "shocked" by his official cause of death. Read on for the details.
- Sixers Wire
The Philadelphia 76ers give their thoughts on how Ben Simmons has looked after two days of practice.
The video above captures what happened after a semi truck carrying a load of vehicles got itself high-centered on a railroad crossing Friday near Thackerville, Okla. An Amtrak train hits the incapacitated truck at speed in one of the most spectacular crashes we can recall, sending the truckload of vehicles flying and crumpling the car trailer. Worse, five people aboard the Amtrak were injured and were transported to a hospital, according to Love County firefighters, though the injuries were non-critical. In the video, you can see someone jumping up and down in a vain attempt to warn the train.
- Business Insider
Fox News anchor John Roberts deleted a tweet that questioned vaccine efficacy in light of Colin Powell's death, clarifying that he is actually pro-vaccine
"The fact that Colin Powell died from a breakthrough COVID infection raises new concerns about how effective vaccines are long-term," he said initially.
- Access Hollywood
Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker are feeling lots of love from their family and friends after getting engaged. Kourtney confirmed the news on her Instagram page, writing simply “Forever” in her caption alongside two romantic snaps of her and her new fiancé embracing amid a massive display of red roses. Kourtney’s sister Kim Kardashian shared a video on Twitter showing off the Poosh founder’s sparkly engagement ring, writing, “KRAVIS FOREVER” along with an engagement ring emoji.
Shanna Moakler posted a bunch of dramatic Instagram Stories after Travis Barker and Kourtney Kardashian's engagement news.
- Business Insider
Hooters adjusts policy to make controversial new uniform optional for employees after outcry over skimpy new shorts that are 'like underwear'
"We are clarifying that they have the option to choose from traditional uniforms or the new ones," a spokesperson wrote in an email to Insider.
- CBS News
Madeline Baharlou-Quivey's message said she had strayed from the standard route to Kit Carson Peak.
- NBC Sports Chicago
Candace Parker and the Sky celebrated their historic WNBA title with one of Chicago's favorite take-out spots
- Atlanta Black Star
‘Challenging Everyone’: Deion Sanders Celebrates Win at JSU Homecoming But His Real Concern Was Addressing the Violence In Jackson, Mississippi
Deion Sanders has been very influential in changing the culture and visibility of HBCU football. He has utilized his celebrity and iconic status to secure […]
- Bears Wire
Aaron Rodgers struck a nerve with Bears fans and Olin Kreutz with his "I still own you" comment.
- Titans Wire
Players fantasy managers should be targeting on the waiver wire in Week 7.
Everyone on Twitter is making the same joke about Scott Disick reacting to Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's engagement—check out the funniest tweets.