Warning: There are spoilers ahead for "Fast X," the 10th "Fast & Furious" movie.
The word "family" is said 27 times by 10 different characters in the sequel.
One of them is a repeated line. The film's antagonist, Dante Reyes (Jason Momoa), says "family" the most.
"If I had to stand behind our theme and what makes 'Fast' successful, I mean, family encompasses everything, not just the theme of the movie, but the people involved, the crew and the cast. The audience has all become our family, right?" "Fast X" star Sung Kang, who plays Han, told Insider in May. "There's something to be said when something so simple and so universal can still entertain and live on and be refreshed."
Family has become so integral to "The Fast Saga" that the word itself has become increasingly more prevalent in the sequels since 2011's "Fast Five," helping to make it the $6 billion franchise it is today.
During a binge of the series a few years back, we realized the word was said so much that we began tracking how many times it was said in the franchise.
Insider has found 81 instances of family throughout the main saga's 10 movies.
The latest film, "Fast X," contains the most uses of the word. After four combined watches, Insider counted 27 mentions of "family," said by a total of 10 characters.
Here's a quick breakdown of how many times "family" is said across all 10 main movies in the franchise to date.
Times "Family" is said
"The Fast and the Furious" (2001)
"2 Fast 2 Furious" (2003)
"The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" (2006)
"Fast & Furious" (2009)
"Fast Five" (2011)
"Fast & Furious 6" (2013)
"Furious 7" (2015)
"The Fate of the Furious" (2017)
"F9" (aka "Fast 9") (2021)
"Fast X" (2023)
Who says family the most in "Fast X": Jason Momoa's villain, Dante
The breakdown of how many times "family" is said in "Fast X" is more interesting when you see who uses the word the most.
"Fast & Furious" Character
Times they say "Family" in "Fast X"
2* (one's a repeat)
The new sequel revisits the murder of Hernan Reyes in the fifth movie with his son, Dante (Jason Momoa), seeking vengeance on Dom's extended family.
The biggest takeaway is that "Fast X" begins and ends with the Reyes family speaking the word "family." Dante, the antagonist, says the word the most, a total number of nine times.
When Insider asked director Louis Leterrier his thoughts on "Fast X" containing the most uses of the word "family," he was elated, explaining Dante's penchant for the word.
"It's said with pride and it's also used as an insult. And that's fun. Whenever Dante uses 'family,' and he uses it much more, that's an insult for him," Leterrier said of Dante's frequent usage of "family." "And I think that's very fun. So, that why we use it so much."
Of the record number of "family" uses in "Fast X," Leterrier said, "I'm so proud. I hope I get a plaque."
Here's a full breakdown of every time we heard the word family in 'Fast X' in the order they occur:
1. Hernan Reyes (Joaquim de Almeida) to his son, Dante, during the film's opening flashback to "Fast Five": "Today, we'll put our family on a path to real power."
2. Grandma Toretto (Rita Moreno) at the Fast fam BBQ: "Hey familia — I am starving."
3. Grandma Toretto at the BBQ: "As I look out at this wonderful family, I'm filled with so much pride."
4. Grandma Toretto as she raises a Corona at the BBQ: "To familia"
5. Dante as he threatens Cipher's goons: "You know what to do if you want to see your families again."
6. Dante, in Rome, as he threatens Cipher's goons again: "Remember, I still have your families, so don't go anywhere."
7. Aimes (Alan Ritchson) to Tess (Brie Larson) at the Agency: "Everyone becomes family. It's like a cult with cars."
8. Tess to Aimes in the same scene: "This family has gotten their hands dirty to keep ours clean."
9. Tess to Aimes in the same scene: "We should be standing with Dom and his family."
10. Dom asking Queenie (Helen Mirren) about the safety of his family: "My family?"
11. Queenie to Dom in Rome: Whoever did this wanted to "sever your ties to the Agency and isolate you from your family."
12. Queenie to Dom: "You know why gladiators never had families?"
13. Aimes to Agency folks on a plane: "Toretto has a sister. A son. Until we find him, find his family."
14. Jakob (John Cena) to Mia (Jordana Brewster) when warning about the Agency: "...whole family's being targeted."
15. Dante to Dom in Brazil while explaining why he let a bomb loose in Rome: "Bit of an homage to my family's safe."
16. Pete Davidson's character, Bowie, to Roman (Tyrese) and Tej (Ludacris) as they fight: "Hey guys, this is a family environment."
17. Cipher (Charlize Theron) to Letty (Michelle Rodriguez): "Don't you want to get back to your precious family?"
18. Dante to Dom over the phone when he finds his hideout: "You built such a beautiful life filled with love and family."
19. Dom to Dante in the same scene: "Without honor, you got no family and without family you got nothing."
20. Dom to Dante: "Without honor, you got no family and without family you got nothing.
21. Dante to Dom: "You stole my family."
22. Dante to Dom on the Brazil bridge: "Family," followed with an "ick" sound.
23. Dante to Dom in the same scene: "You know what your problem is? Family. You can't save them all."
24. Dante to Dom [paraphrased]: Your legacy isn't family or power or the life you made.
25. Aimes to Dom: "See, that's the problem with having a big family. Can't protect them all."
26. Hernan Reyes repeats a line from the film's start: "Today, we'll put our family on a path to real power."
27. Dante to Dom: "I took your money, I took your freedom, I'm gonna take your family."
A few additional mentions of "family," which appeared in trailers, weren't in the final cut, or lines were slightly tweaked.
For instance, Grandma Toretto's quote from the first trailer, "I know that this road has been very hard. And yet, here you are, building this magnificent family," is slightly different in the theatrical cut.
When watching the film with closed captioning, Roman interrupts before she can say, "building this magnificent legacy."
You can follow along with all our "Fast X" coverage here.
Did we miss any mentions of "family?" Email me at email@example.com.
Read the original article on Insider