A man seen in surveillance footage in a confrontation with a gas station owner in Oakland was arrested, police announced Friday.
- Go to China. [BLEEP] you, man.
- Because you have [BLEEP]
- Keep saying it.
- This is just a portion of the video captured by an Oakland gas station owner late Thursday morning.
- Go [BLEEP] you mama. Go [BLEEP] your mama. You're not from here. You're Asian. [BLEEP]
- The racially charged insults came after the man went inside to pay for his gas using this pile of quarters.
- My staff, she was just like, whoa, wait. Hold on there. You kind of have to take this to the bank because I can't fit this all in the till.
- When station owner Seawell, who doesn't want to use his last name, stepped in to smooth out the situation.
- He just started mouthing off. You should go back to China, like that.
- After 20 years in the business, Seawell took the insults in stride.
- We were just like busting out laughing. It was just so unbelievable. Verbal stuff doesn't really bother me.
- But things changed when Seawell says the man threatened to come back again and Seawell followed him outside to capture his license plate number. That's when things took a nasty turn. Seawell kept recording.
- He ends up reversing his car at me. I took it as like like an assault.
- Seawell says he noticed the man reached into his pocket. He grabbed nearby cleaning spray to protect himself but not before this.
- The guy had pulled out his pepper spray and he had shot me in the face, on my arms. And I end up going to the ER, actually, to get to taking care of.
- You can see on the surveillance video, Seawell's staff rushed to his aid as they call Oakland Police. Seawell plans to press charges and shares this message with the Bay Area.
- I totally appreciate that you let me share my story because this has got to stop. I hope this kind of like brings awareness to like, hey, everybody kind of goes through the same stuff and we just have to understand that.