FAIRFIELD, CT — Fairfield Warde High School has seen its first coronavirus case since reopening last month, according to officials.
A person associated with the school tested positive for the virus, the school district told parents and staff Saturday in a message. Director of Communications Andrea Clark confirmed the person who tested positive was a district employee.
“There is no need for anyone else at FWHS to self-quarantine and school will remain open,” said the message, attributed to Superintendent Mike Cummings and COVID-19 Health and Safety Compliance Liaison Angelus Papageorge.
The announcement followed previous new cases this week, which included two Fairfield Ludlowe High School students, a Remote Learning Academy student, a contractor at Roger Ludlowe Middle School and a temporary cleaning worker at Roger Ludlowe, whose diagnosis forced custodians who may have been exposed to the virus into quarantine.
Of the district schools, Fairfield Ludlowe has been the most impacted by the virus, intermittently closing its building in recent weeks as a safety precaution.
As of 9 a.m. Saturday, one Fairfield Ludlowe student was confirmed to have the virus and another 22 Fairfield Ludlowe students had recovered from it since the start of the school year, according to district data. Additionally, 50 students and 11 staff members were in quarantine.
Affected schools as of Saturday included Fairfield Ludlowe and Fairfield Warde high schools; Roger Ludlowe and Tomlinson middle schools; Dwight, Holland Hill, Jennings, Mill Hill, Sherman, Osborn Hill and Riverfield elementary schools; and the Early Childhood Center at Fairfield Warde.