Family hopes for justice 10 years after woman killed while walking dogs along White River

Sherese Bingham
Sherese Bingham

Keith Walker is confident he knows who killed his sister, Sherese Bingham, 10 years ago.

“In the beginning, I was angry and ready to do something stupid,” Walker said. “I got out of that mode and turned it over to God because I would have ended up in prison. I would have lost everything over something I cannot change.”

Walker still holds out hope the person responsible for his sister’s death will one day face justice.

Sherese Bingham, 51, was killed on the evening of Dec. 12, 2012. She was found on the White River Parkway, near the intersection of West New York and Limestone streets.

Bingham was walking her two German Shepherds, with at least one dog off leash, before she was killed.

“Due to the dogs’ aggressive and protective nature, emergency personnel were initially unable to get to her,” said First Sgt. Lester Norvell of the Indiana State Police. “Once the dogs were subdued, it was determined Sherese was unresponsive and deceased.”

Early investigation into Sherese Bingham's killing

Officers at the scene initially thought Bingham may have shot herself. Detectives quickly determined that wasn’t the case and began questioning family and friends.

The Marion County Coroner’s Office determined Bingham lived for at least seven minutes after she was shot, court documents state. Police also found her cellphone at the scene, and learned she tried to make a call before she died.

More news:Former Indiana prison employee pleads guilty in 2020 stabbing attack

The German Shepherds at the scene of are a key piece of evidence in his sister’s death, Walker said. They only would've let people familiar get near Bingham.

“They were her guard dogs,” Walker said. “Someone unfamiliar with her and the dogs wouldn’t have able to get close enough to hurt her.”

Sherese Bingham and her husband Eugene Bingham were going through a divorce before she was killed, Walker said.

Sherese Bingham
Sherese Bingham

More:'Our hearts break': Mystery surrounds Nakyla Williams' disappearance more than a year ago

In 2014, Eugene Bingham was arrested and charged with murder in connection to the killing, but charges in the case were dismissed by the prosecution.

“Due to a lack of clarification we had on some evidence, our case was not as strong as we had hoped when he was initially charged,” Norvell said when asked why the charges were dropped.

Investigators relied on a series of failed or inconclusive polygraph tests and a cellphone ping to arrest Eugene Bingham in 2014. He denied having anything to do with his wife’s death at the time.

Eugene Bingham did not respond to a request for comment before publication of this article.

The investigation into Sherese Bingham’s death remains open, Norvell said.

“Our policy doesn't allow us to identify anybody as a suspect,” said Sgt. John Perrine of the Indiana State Police when asked if Eugene Bingham was a suspect in the case still. “The case is still open and actively being investigated and there are persons of interest in this case."

'One day, the truth will come out'

Police are confident someone has the answers that will put a suspect behind bars for the killing.

“We are very confident somebody knows what happened and maybe more than one person knows what happened to Sherese,” Perrine said. “We are looking for somebody to come forward with information that will help us push this case forward and find results for the family.”

A part of his family is missing, especially during the holidays, Walker said.

“Sherese had a heart of gold,” Walker said. “She was a giver and liked to spend time with family. She was a hard worker, a good wife and loved her dogs.”

Sherese Bingham had joined a new church and was working for Gatorade before she was killed, Walker said.

"It's not painful for me now because there is nothing I can change,” Walker said. “I know that one day the truth will come out."

Anyone with information on Sherese Bingham’s death is asked to call the Indiana State Police at 317-899-8577 or Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477 to remain anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward.

This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: Family hopes for justice 10 years after Sherese Bingham's death