Family of Jake Ehlinger says late Texas football player died from 'accidental overdose'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Jake Ehlinger’s family released a statement Thursday saying the former Texas football player’s death in May was the result of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with Fentanyl.

Austin police said they responded to a call at 12:18 p.m. on May 6 and found Ehlinger in the 1200 block of West 22nd Street. The Westlake graduate was 20.

“Today we are sad to share that we have learned that Jake was a victim of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl,” the Ehlinger family statement said. “The spread of counterfeit pills is an ongoing and significant issue throughout our country, particularly in schools, colleges, and universities.

“As our family continues to process Jake’s death, we felt it was important to share these details with the hope that Jake will not have died in vain,” the statement continued. “We pray that sharing Jake’s story will help shed light on this problem and prevent other families from also tragically losing a loved one.”

Jake Ehlinger’s family released a statement Thursday saying the former Texas football player’s death in May was the result of an accidental overdose.
Jake Ehlinger’s family released a statement Thursday saying the former Texas football player’s death in May was the result of an accidental overdose.

The Austin American-Statesman was one of several local media outlets to file an open records request on the cause of death with the Travis County medical examiner. That request was then forwarded to the Texas Attorney General for a ruling.

Jake Ehlinger
Jake Ehlinger

Ehlinger's brother, Sam, attended the funeral and then went back to Indianapolis. Sam Ehlinger played QB at Texas and is currently a quarterback with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts. Jena Ehlinger, Sam and Jake’s mother, has not spoken publicly.

“Our hearts are broken, and we are still grieving over the loss of our son and brother, Jake,” the family statement read. “We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support received since his untimely passing in May. We sincerely thank everyone who has reached out.”

The family continues to request privacy at this time, according to Austin attorney Ed Burbach.

Contact Brian Davis by phone or text at 512-445-3957. Email bdavis@statesman.com or @BDavisAAS.

This article originally appeared on Hookem: Jake Ehlinger died from 'accidental overdose' according to family

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting