Family suing Myrtle Beach hotel after 3-year-old suffers severe chemical burns from pool

A North Carolina family is suing a Myrtle Beach hotel after they said their three-year-old son suffered from severe chemical burns that left him permanently scarred.

The incident happened at the Caribbean Resort and Villas.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Even though it happened three years ago, the family said the boy is still receiving treatment for his burns.

According to the lawsuit, the boy got the burns while swimming in the lazy river. Attorneys said high levels of chlorine caused the burns and left scarring.

The child ended up spending seven days at the University of North Carolina burn unit, where he endured multiple sessions of debridement, the medical removal of dead and damaged skin to help heal the healthy tissue.

“The biggest thing is how much he suffered as the chemicals ate away at his skin,” attorney Kenneth Berger said.

Berger said the boy is still having surgeries on the burnt parts of his body.


The man in charge of reporting and keeping track of chlorine levels was charged with falsifying records of levels in the pool.

According to the lawsuit, Juan River was in charge of the chlorine levels, though he wasn’t working on the day the child was burned.

“What he did was, when he came back to work a couple of days later, he went back and falsified and forged what the chlorine and other chemicals were in that pool,” Berger said.

South Carolina chlorine levels cannot be over an eight on the test strip. A test done a few days after the child was burned showed that chlorine levels were at ten.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]