PEER-TO-PEER: At this year’s Fashion Awards in London, the British Fashion Council will be celebrating the Designer’s Designer, an accolade that coincides with the launch of the BFC’s new membership program.
Nominees include Christopher Kane, Roksanda Ilincic, Margaret Howell, Jonathan Anderson and Simone Rocha. The membership program’s 80 founding members will be voting for the winner of the Designer’s Designer award.
More from WWD
- London Beauty Week to Make Its Debut in Covent Garden in September
- LVMH Seen Clinching Tiffany Acquisition Soon -- Reports
- Dover Street Market Joins Forces with Sky High Farms to Address Food Security in Underserved Communities
It will be presented during the 2019 ceremony, which takes place at Royal Albert Hall on Dec. 2.
According to the BFC, all nominees were chosen for having had a “global impact” and because they “moved the needle in increasing their positive brand perception” through collaborations, product design and creativity.
The new BFC membership scheme aims to raise funds for designers, business programs, education and scholarships, and wants to encourage a stronger sense of community and collaboration among its members. It also aims to tap into “a much wider community, not just the brands that are part of the schedule at London Fashion Week,” said BFC chair Stephanie Phair.
It will provide a new revenue stream for the BFC. Membership fees are based on annual turnover, and range from designer members to patron members. Businesses with up to 1 million pounds in turnover pay 500 pounds a year with the rates increasing incrementally. Brands with turnover in excess of 100 million pounds, such as Burberry, are asked to become patrons.
Best of WWD
- American Dream: What to Know About New Jersey's Supersized Shopping Mall
- The Biggest Spring 2020 Fashion Trends From the Runways
- Celebrities at New York Fashion Week Spring 2020