Final suspect in July 4 Natalia Wallace killing charged with murder

William Lee, Chicago Tribune

The final suspect tied to a July 4 ambush shooting that killed a 7-year-old girl as she played with neighborhood children was denied bail Wednesday during a bond hearing broadcast on YouTube.

Kevin Boyd, 28, faces first-degree murder charges in Natalia Wallace’s death outside her grandparents’ home in the 100 block of North Latrobe Avenue just after 7 p.m. on Independence Day. The man accused of being the getaway driver and two others, including Boyd’s older brother Terrell, have already been charged with murder.

Before Judge Mary C. Marubio, prosecutors said high-quality surveillance video on the block captured Boyd’s face as he exited the rear of a white 2016 Subaru Legacy and opened fire at a 32-year-old man who was walking in the direction of the children.

The surviving victim identified Boyd as the gunman he saw exit the rear driver-side door and fire shots. A black face mask later found in the rear passenger area of the vehicle was positive for Boyd’s DNA, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy told the court. Boyd was also identified in a photo by a federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agent who had previous dealings with him, Murphy added.

All three shooters and the getaway driver belong to the “2 Risky” street gang. A third Boyd brother was killed June 29, prosecutors said, and members of 2 Risky believe that someone on Latrobe was responsible for that shooting, prosecutors said.

Boyd, a father of two young children, has been employed as a dishwasher at Red Lobster, according to his court-appointed attorney.

Judge Marubio approved a request denying bail, citing the weight of the evidence, including the surveillance video, along with phone, social media and DNA evidence. She added that his flight to Wisconsin after the shooting and his attempt to fight extradition gave her concern that he was a flight risk.

He is scheduled to return to court next month.

Natalia is one of at least 50 children age 12 and younger to have been wounded or killed by gunfire in Chicago so far in 2020, among more than 4,000 people shot in the city, according to Tribune data.