Fire at Amazon warehouse in Cecil County was sparked by solar panel system, caused $500K in damages, officials say

·1 min read

Jun. 10—The solar panel system on the roof of the Amazon warehouse in Cecil County sparked a fire that caused about $500,000 to the building, according to investigators.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal ruled the fire accidental, due to an "unspecified event" involving the solar panel system.

About 60 firefighters from the Charlestown, Susquehanna Hose, Level and other volunteer fire companies from Cecil and Harford counties responded to the warehouse, located in the 600 block of Principio Parkway West between North East and Perryville. The call came just before 2:30 p.m. and it took firefighters about 80 minutes to get the blaze under control, according to the fire marshal.

Employees discovered the fire, according to investigators.

Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire said that firefighters reported "heavy smoke and fire" at the rear of the building and on the roof when they arrived.

No injuries were reported, but Alkire said one employee was evaluated on scene.

Aegis editor S. Wayne Carter Jr. contributed to this article.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting