A large fire destroyed two vehicles and caused light damage to Poor Paul's Poorhouse and Bullwinkle's Saloon Wednesday afternoon, according to the Tallahassee Fire Department.
TFD Division Chief Jason Greisl said the parking lot fire was accidental and likely caused by the day's dry heat. Firgefighters did not specify what exactly sparked the blaze.
Wednesday's high was 102, according to the National Weather Service. The heat index, commonly referred to as the feels-like temperature, was 111.
Two vehicles, parked near at the edge of the parking lot, were burned through, covered in soot and ash around 4 p.m. A number of palm trees directly behind both vehicles were blackened by the flames quelled less than an hour before.
Recent weather coverage: 'Stifling': Heat spell could peak with all-time record-high temperatures in Tallahassee
Arrest made in shooting: TPD arrest man who shot woman in the presence of her two children, court records say
Greisl said embers from the fire fell onto the roofs of the two bars and caused minor damage.
Taylor Nadeau, a 26-year-old Tallahassee resident, said he parked his white 2013 Toyota Tacoma in the lot Tuesday night.
When he came back to get his truck the following afternoon — with an intent to go golfing — his truck was unrecognizable from the blaze.
"I'm still in shock," he said, as he watched firefighters spray gallons of water on his truck and nearby palm trees. "I don't know what happened."
Nadeau said the only thing of value in the truck was $3,000 worth of golf clubs.
"I loved that truck," he said. "I named her Bellamy... after the social sciences building at FSU."
Contact Christopher Cann at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow @ChrisCannFL on Twitter.
Never miss a story: Subscribe to the Tallahassee Democrat using the link at the top of the page.
This article originally appeared on Tallahassee Democrat: Tallahassee Bullwinkle's parking lot fire destroys 2 vehicles blaze