Fire burns Epsom campground office

·1 min read

Jul. 30—A fire Friday night at the Epsom Valley Campground destroyed the campground's office, but no one was hurt.

Epsom Fire Department Chief Stewart Yeaton said the fire started just after 9 p.m. Friday.

The fire started in the basement of a building that serves as the campground office and manager's home, Yeaton said, apparently from a malfunctioning golf cart.

The fire spread quickly, Yeaton said, and by the time firefighters arrived, there were flames across the front of the building.

Firefighters from Epsom and several surrounding towns' departments worked for almost 6 hours to knock down the fire. Yeaton said because it was hot and humid overnight, firefighters had to rest frequently to avoid heatstroke.

At one point, Yeaton said two Epsom firefighters fell through the first floor into the basement, but were extracted quickly.

No people were hurt, but Yeaton said two cats perished.

Firefighters believed the fire was put out around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, but Yeaton said because of the way the building collapsed, firefighters were not certain the fire was completely out. The fire did rekindle Saturday morning, Yeaton said, and firefighters returned to put the fire out.

The campground is not taking reservations after the fire, according to their website.