Fire at Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace sparked by dryer in the basement, officials say

·1 min read

Jun. 11—A dryer in the basement of Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace caught fire Thursday night, but no one was injured as a result of the fire, officials said.

Susquehanna Hose Company received the call around 9:38 p.m., Chief Scott Hurst said. The basement suffered some smoke and water damage, and the dryer was destroyed, but nobody was hurt, he said.

"The sprinklers did a very good job of containing it," he said.

The fire was quickly extinguished, but it generated a "significant amount of smoke," said Martha Mallonee, the director of corporate communications, marketing and public relations for University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health, which runs the hospital.

The laundry room is three floors below patients' rooms, and they were never in danger, she said. The laboratory was briefly evacuated, but the hospital was fully functional Friday morning.

The hospital appreciated the Susquehanna Hose Company, Aberdeen Fire Company and the Havre de Grace Police Department who assisted them Thursday night, Mallonee said.