Hey, Orlando! It's Sunday, so let's get you started with everything you need to know going on in Orlando today.
First, today's weather:
Partly sunny; breezy, humid. High: 85 Low: 64.
Rent this space!
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Orlando? We love connecting local businesses with our amazing readers. Learn more here.
Here are the top five stories in Orlando today:
1. Christian Service Center in Parramore is giving dozens of homeless people a new home to start the year. The center helps others get a second chance, but there is still work to be done with thousands of homeless people in the area. (WFTV)
2. Walmart temporarily closed a Kissimmee location on Friday due to COVID-19 for a deep-cleaning. The location will re-0pen today. Walmart is currently offering $150 bonuses for associates who choose to become fully vaccinated and have not previously received the vaccination incentive. (WESH)
3. Thousands of passengers rejected the CDC’s advice not to sail as COVID-19 cases reach record numbers. After the Independence of the Seas departure Friday and the Disney Dream, six more cruise ships were scheduled to sail out of Port Canaveral over the holiday weekend. (Click Orlando)
4. AdventHealth Celebration announced the delivery of its first baby of 2022. Jesenia González Colón and Brian Rodriguez from Oviedo, Florida welcome their newborn son Melvin Rodriguez at the stroke of midnight on Saturday night. (WFTV)
5. Florida Fish and Wildlife is asking for Floridians to be on the lookout for striped skunks and spotted skunks. It re-shared a post on social media originally posted in August 2021 asking for the public's help. (Spectrum News 13)
Today in Orlando:
Orlando Ballet School and Fitness Thru Dance Open House at Harriett’s Orlando Ballet Centre. (1:00 PM)
Acrylic Painting For All Levels With Joe Yakovetic at Harry P. Leu Gardens. (1:00 PM)
Rollins College Women's Basketball Vs Lynn University. (2:00 PM)
Harry Potter: Return to Ivanhoe at Ivanhoe Park Brewing Company. (4:30 PM)
New Moon Yoga, Meditation And Cairns at Ivanhoe Business Center. (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
Florida reported 56,865 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday, continuing a record-setting week that has also seen a steady increase in infected hospital patients, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. (Sun Sentinel)
Orlando City soccer striker Daryl Dike is joining West Brom on a loan. (MLS)
Orlando theme parks responded on social media with jokes after a former Disney employee claimed he was banned from the park for drinking from fountains. (Orlando Weekly)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Orlando Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
Get your local business showcased in front of readers
Send me a news tip or suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
You're officially in the loop for today. I'll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.