WILL COUNTY, IL — The Forest Preserve District will close a few sites early to prevent people from congregating in large groups Friday and Saturday during fireworks at dusk, including a few in Romeoville.
Police will begin closing the following preserves beginning at 3 p.m. on these dates:
Friday, July 3
- Isle a la Cache in Romeoville
- Keepataw Preserve in Lemont
- Lake Renwick Preserve – Turtle Lake Access in Plainfield
- Lockport Prairie Nature Preserve in Lockport
- Prairie Bluff Preserve in Crest Hill
- Veterans Woods in Romeoville
Saturday, July 4
- Rock Run Preserve – Black Road Access in Joliet
- Rock Run Preserve – Paul V. Nichols Access in Joliet
- Riverview Farmstead Preserve in Naperville
- Vermont Cemetery Preserve in Naperville
Keepataw Preserve and Veterans Woods may also be closed on Saturday if police find that conditions warrant it.
The decision to close some preserves early is in keeping with phase four of the state's COVID-19 reopening plan, which limits the number of people that may gather.
"We certainly want people to enjoy the Fourth of July holiday," said Ralph Schultz, chief operating officer for the district. "However, we also want them to continue to take the proper precautions to keep themselves and others healthy."