France deploys over 100,000 police for New Year's Eve

France is beefing up security for New Year's Eve celebrations, six weeks after jihadists attacked the capital, leaving 130 people dead (AFP Photo/Kenzo Tribouillard)

Paris (AFP) - More than 100,000 police will be deployed throughout France to guard New Year's Eve celebrations that come six weeks after the jihadist attacks in Paris, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said Thursday.

The minister said that while there was "no direct threat" of an attack, "all European capitals are under a general threat."

In Paris, 11,000 police will be on duty, including 1,700 on the Champs Elysees avenue, the traditional focus of New Year's celebrations in France.

Around 600,000 people gathered there last year, but far fewer are expected this year and a giant fireworks display has been cancelled.

A total of 130 people were killed in Paris on November when jihadist gunmen attacked bars, a concert hall and the Stade de France stadium.