- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Attorney General Keith Ellison is partnering with North Point Health and Wellness Center and the Urban League for a vaccination street fair, reports Esme Murphy (1:49). WCCO 4 News - June 2, 2021
- Vaccine rates remain slightly lower in Minnesota's black communities, and especially low in Minneapolis. Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison wants to change that, and Esme Murphy explains how.
- The right arm.
- Tamara Campbell is getting the vaccine as an example for her three young adult sons.
TAMARA CAMPELL: I want to let them know that it is safe to take the vaccine and to try to get more of their age range to also get the vaccine.
- According to the latest numbers, 76% of white Minneapolis residents are vaccinated, while only 33% of black residents are. Statewide, 45% of black residents have gotten the vaccine. Attorney General Keith Ellison, whose mother, [? Klyda, ?] died of COVID, wants to change that.
KEITH ELLISON: It was a traumatic moment in my life, and I don't want anybody to go through it.
- Ellison is partnering with Northpoint Health and Wellness and the Urban League for a vaccination street fair.
- The vaccination fair will take place on both sides of Plymouth Avenue North in Minneapolis, one of North Minneapolis' busiest streets. There will be food and entertainment. The goal is to make it fun.
- Well, most often, I hear, you know, I just need a little more time.
- Dr. Kevin Gilliam says, many patients are holding off.
With this virus, do people really have the luxury of time?
- No, but we do want people to make a decision that they're comfortable with.
- And some may believe that they need insurance, or the shot will be costly.
KEVIN GILLIAM: There is nothing that will be collected of you in terms of any cash payments or any of that kind of stuff. It is free, free, free.
- Esme Murphy, WCCO 4 News.
- The vaccination street fair will run from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Saturday. It will be just East of the intersection of Penn Avenue North and Plymouth Avenue.