More people are opening up the doors to adventure with their own custom camper vans constructed in Fresno County.
- More people are opening up the doors to adventure with their own custom camper vans constructed in Fresno County.
JONNY FELD: Even before the pandemic, vans, and traveling, and RV sales have been really up. And then the pandemic hit, and everything really went crazy.
- Jonny Feld is the spokesperson for [? SMB ?] West Vans. Crews have been working nonstop to create off-road camper vans. People can customize their vans to include kitchens, bathrooms, showers, and pop up tents in the vehicle. Demand has boomed.
- It's really been nationwide, where people are finding the itch to go out, and travel, and still have fun during this pandemic. And what better way to do it, social distancing, camping, right? And traveling in a vehicle with your family.
- Feld says, many customers say they wanted their own safe space during the pandemic and see a need in the future. Their vans range in model, color, and amenities, depending on what a person wants.
- Recently, for Santa Barbara County, we did some homeless outreach vehicles. So they're, like, mobile. They can be for mobile vaccinations. They're just general outreach to the homeless community, so those projects are always fun and rewarding.
- On average, it takes about three months to put together start to finish. However, there's a long line of interested customers.
- It's hard to say. I mean, easy 20% business has gone up. We were so busy and backlogged that people are waiting a year or two years for these things at the moment.
- People from all over the country are ordering these vans. Even a few celebrities have stopped by the shop. A personalized four by four van costs about $100,000 and can go up to the low $200,000s.
With all this demand, the company says they're hiring. Go to out website for more details. Vans converted right here in the Valley and sent around the world. In Fresno County, Amanda Venegas, ABC 30, Action News.