With friends and family in Turkey, FSU students host donation drive for earthquake victims

FSU Turkish Student Association President Omer Turkomer is a senior majoring in political science and international affairs.
FSU Turkish Student Association President Omer Turkomer is a senior majoring in political science and international affairs.

Florida State University freshman Barkin Ozturk — who came to the U.S. as an international student from Istanbul, Turkey in August — was fortunate enough to find out that his family was not impacted by the recent 7.8 magnitude earthquake in Turkey-Syria Monday.

But with his close friend 20-year-old Nezir Golge living in Kahramanmaras, Turkey, along with many others dealing with the aftermath, FSU’s Turkish Student Association has started a donation drive and fundraiser Tuesday to help the victims.

“He told me he had to live in a car for the first few days because the shelters around the area were gone after the earthquake,” said Ozturk, 19, who is a member of the student association majoring in film at the university. “All the roads and highways were closed off, and when he went to the town square, there was no one there to help. Everyone was under the rubbles, and people were in need of food, shelter and clothing.”

Ozturk last heard from Golge Thursday morning.

Golge and his family are currently living with a stranger who opened their house up to him and his family in a different city, and he plans on staying with the individual for two to three weeks before returning to his hometown, if possible.

Live updates on earthquake aftermath:Earthquake death toll over 20,000; Turkey evacuates thousands; UN aid reaches Syria: Live updates

Related news:Earthquake death toll over 20,000; Turkey evacuates thousands; UN aid reaches Syria: Live updates

Before and after:Aerial images show scale of Turkey's devastation

February 9, 2023: Families of victims stand as rescue officials search among the rubble of collapsed buildings in Kahramanmaras, three days after a 7,8-magnitude earthquake struck southeast Turkey. - The death toll from a huge earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria climbed to more than 17,100 on Feb. 9, as hopes faded of finding survivors stuck under rubble in freezing weather.

The freezing weather in the Middle Eastern country this time of year makes matters even worse, Ozturk said.

“With the roads being closed off and the heavy snowfall going on in the area, a lot of people under the rubbles have either been freezing to death or the help couldn't get there on time, sadly,” Ozturk added.

Following the initial catastrophic earthquake Monday morning in Turkey and Syria was another one about eight hours later. The death toll currently surpasses 20,000 people as of Thursday.

“The more you look into it, the more you find out just how devastating the situation is over there,” said TSA President Omer Turkomer, a 20-year-old FSU senior majoring in political science and international affairs. “It's definitely heart-wrenching.”

Turkomer lived in Istanbul, Turkey until he was 14 years old. Although he still has family in the country, he was fortunate enough to find out that none of his loved ones were impacted.

With the Turkish Student Association having 30 active members, about five of them have loved ones who were impacted by the earthquake, with some dealing with the death of family members.

As the association holds its donation drive, items and monetary donations are being collected and will be sent to local non-governmental organizations such as AHBAP — a charity organization — that are helping victims in the affected areas.

“It's so horrifying, so we wanted to at least do something from here,” Turkomer said.

Students participate in a Turkish Student Association event on Florida State University's campus.
Students participate in a Turkish Student Association event on Florida State University's campus.

Eran Erman Ozguven, the student association’s advisor, is also Turkish and has loved ones in Antakya, Turkey who were impacted by the earthquake.

"It was a devastating event. My wife had some relatives there, and all their houses collapsed,” Ozguyen said. “They are alive, thankfully, and were taken out of the wreckage.”

Ozguyen — who is also an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering — added that many people have already reached out to him to ask how they can support the victims living in the affected areas.

“I cannot express how we, as Turkish people out of the country, feel helpless. That is why I am so proud of the initiative TSA is leading,” Ozguyen said. “We are a resilient bunch of folks here in Tallahassee. I think this effort is an excellent way of showing our support to Turkey."

Eren Erman Ozguven is an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering.
Eren Erman Ozguven is an associate professor of civil and environmental engineering at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering.

Turkomer says the urgent need for assistance and the delays involved with shipping make monetary donations the organization’s preference for anyone who would like to donate. Funds are being collected through the Turkish Student Association’s Paypal, where over $600 have already been raised.

Physical donations for the drive are being accepted until March 5, and all items can be dropped off on the first floor of FSU’s Center for Global Engagement located at 110 S. Woodward Ave.

Here is a list of items needed:

  • Blankets

  • Tents

  • Sleeping bags

  • Pocket warmers

  • Pain killers

  • Over-the-counter medication (for flu, cold)

  • Jackets

  • Gloves

  • Headgear

Contact Tarah Jean at tjean@tallahassee.com or follow her on twitter @tarahjean_.

Never miss a story: Subscribe to the Tallahassee Democrat using the link at the top of the page.

This article originally appeared on Tallahassee Democrat: Turkey-Syria earthquake donation drive started by FSU Turkish students