Frontier Airlines announced Tuesday that it's adding four new routes from Phoenix's Sky Harbor International Airport and one new route between Trenton, New Jersey, and Sarasota, Florida. And flyers can snag seats for as low as $29-$79 each way with discounted intro fares.
Starting in November, the airline will add year-round, daily service from Phoenix to San Diego and Salt Lake City and seasonal non-daily service from Phoenix to Detroit and Fargo, North Dakota.
The latest Phoenix additions, including flights to Las Vegas beginning in September, mean the airline will soon serve 14 destinations from Sky Harbor.
Frontier Senior Vice President Daniel Shurz said as airfare prices have risen on routes from Phoenix, it was a good time for the ultra-low-cost carrier to bring affordable options to travelers.
"We think there's clearly an opportunity for an airline like us that offers extremely low, every day low fares to come in as an alternative to the two or three airlines that operate in this market today," said Shurz.
The new seasonal route from Trenton-Mercer Airport to Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport brings Frontier's routes out of Trenton to 16.
The New Jersey-Florida route "will help satisfy the Mercer County region’s growing desire for warmer seasonal climates,” Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes said in a news release announcing the route addition and increased winter frequency for several other Trenton routes.
Frontier relaunches Phoenix service to Detroit, Salt Lake City
Shurz said Frontier saw strong demand on its Detroit route, but it had been difficult to figure out an efficient way to staff and run the route between Motor City and Phoenix. The company believes it has come up with a solution by routing planes through Orlando and offering service on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
The airline had discontinued its service to Salt Lake City due to lack of demand on the route. But now, the airline has seen a rise in demand for a Phoenix-Salt Lake City flights, as well as increasing fares between the cities.
Although the airline is finished announcing flights for winter 2019/20, Shurz said Frontier is paying close attention to opportunities to expand in Phoenix. He said seasonal and year-round options are being considered.
"That combination of economic success (in Phoenix) and population growth and an opportunity to profitably offer lower fares means Phoenix is definitely high on our radar for future growth," said Shurz.
Schedule for new Frontier Routes
Flying discount airlines: 11 things you need to know about flying Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant
Here's what the schedule and sales look like:
- Phoenix-San Diego launches Nov. 14 and will operate year round and daily. The airline is offering an introductory fare starting at $29 for flights leaving on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Phoenix-Salt Lake City also launches Nov. 14 and operate year-round, daily service. The introductory fare of $39 is offered on flights departing on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Phoenix-Fargo, North Dakota starts Nov. 14 and flies on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. The airline is offering an introductory fare starting at $59 for flights leaving on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Phoenix-Detroit starts Nov. 15 and flies on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Introductory ticket offer for as low as $79 each way.
- Trenton to Sarasota starts Nov. 15 and flies Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The intro fare of $49 is for Wednesday flights.
The seasonal Phoenix routes are scheduled to end in April, but the airline said it will watch demand to determine the exact end to the service. The Trenton-Sarasota route is in the schedule through March.
This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Frontier announces five new routes, most from Phoenix