The legal hits just keep on coming for Chris and Roberta Laundrie.
Brian Laundrie's Parents Hit With Another Legal Loss!
He ruled that the motion, which sought to restrict the depositions to the weeks after Gabby’s death and prevent further embarrassment for Chris and Roberta, was “overly narrow.”
Judge Carroll also ruled their motion would preclude directly relevant evidence based on the allegations in the lawsuit that the Laundries were aware of Gabby’s murder and did nothing.
Chris & Roberta Laundrie's Depositions Will NOT Be Limited
“The court notes that there really has been no showing of any prior misconduct by the plaintiffs,” Judge Carroll said during Tuesday’s hearing on the motion. “We normally would not issue such an order without either some showing of something going on other than that the fact that there’s a lot of media scrutiny.”
The Blast previously reported on the Laundrie’s motion which was filed in October.
According to Fox News, attorneys for Chris and Roberta filed a motion asking the court to enforce a narrow line of questioning regarding the murder of Gabby.
The 22-year-old was strangled to death by Brian in August 2021.
The defense team asked Judge Carroll to limit questions to details from August 27, 2021 to September 19, 2021.
Gabby’s parents believe she was murdered on or around August 27th, and her remains were discovered in a Wyoming national park on September 19, 2021.
"We are just looking to confine the questioning to matters and the time frame relevant to the claim that has been filed," Laundrie family attorney Steve Bertolino said Friday, October 28th.
The motion acknowledges that Petito’s family and the public at large are searching for more answers in connection to the 22-year-old’s death; however, it also argues that public interest is not enough to compel the Laundries to answer a broader range of questions.
Following Judge Carroll’s November 28, 2022, decision, Laundrie family attorney Matthew Luka released a statement.
Laundries Are "Disappointed" With Judge's Rejection
“Obviously we’re disappointed that [Judge Carroll] didn’t rule in our favor, but we have a great judge, and he gives a lot of consideration to our arguments, so I appreciate the thought he gave to our case,” said Luka. “The depositions will go forward. And I know that Mr. Reilly and I will work together to make sure that the questions that are asked are reasonable and fair.”
Pat Reilly, the attorney for Schmidt and Petito, said their depositions most likely will NOT take place on December 1st as originally planned.
He will be seeking postponement to await results from his FOIA request on evidence and testimony gathered by the FBI during their investigation into Gabby’s disappearance, per WATE.com.
This is Gabby’s parents second pre-trial victory in Sarasota County Circuit Court.