Elyse Miller broke two school records her freshman year at Gibraltar Carlson.
The three years since then have been a mixed bag.
She lost her sophomore season to the COVID-19 pandemic and worked through a knee injury suffered during basketball season as a junior.
BOYS HONOR ROLL: More school track and field records fell this spring
"So this was really her first year back ready to go and healthy," Carlson coach Erin Torres said. "It's been a battle."
Miller made up for lost time as a senior.
She re-broke her own record in the 100 with a time of :12.28 at Regionals. She unofficially bested her record in the 200 at the Midwest Meet of Champions with a time of :25.86 and came up just short of the school's 400 record at the state meet (:58.84).
"She was two-tenths of a second off (in the 400)," Torres said. "She was not pleased with her time because she wanted to break the record and was so close, but once she saw that she finished 11th, she was okay with that."
Miller, who will run this fall at Wayne State University, was tested and encouraged by an high level of competition among sprinters this season in the Monroe County Region.
"There was a lot more competition all around," Torres said. "It was really fun to watch her run against that kind of competition. It pushed her all season. Her times increased all season and that got her to her record at Regionals and got her to the state meet. That was huge."
Among the Region's top sprinters were New Boston Huron's Elizabeth Anderson, Jefferson's Alexa Glancy, and Monroe's Meredith Soule. Each of those athletes broke multiple records this spring
Anderson was the Region's fastest in the 100 (:12.23), 200 (:25.07) and 400 (:56.28), breaking the Huron school record in all three events. Her time in the 400 also set a Region record, topping the :56.35 set by Airport's Zoe Eby in 2014.
Anderson won state titles in the 200 and 400 this season and was runner up in the 100. She also ran the anchor leg on two school-record relay teams this season in the 400 relay (:52.54) and the 800 relay (1:49.71).
Soule, who had the third-fastest time in the 200 this season, broke a nearly 40-year old Region record in the low hurdles with a time :43.89 and came within :0.34 of the high hurdle record with a time of :14.94. Both times broke her own Monroe school records.
The previous low hurdle record was :45.2 by Dundee's Michelle Hayden in 1983.
Glancy broke the Jefferson record in the 400 (:59.61) and ran anchor on the Bears' record 1,600 relay (4:07.70) with Veronica Fitzgerald, Ellie Hintz, and Alyssa Masserant.
Fitzgerald broke the school's 800 record (2:20.26) and helped break the 3,200 relay record in 9:36.93 with Kim Miller, Masserant, and Jenna Pilachowski.
Other school records set this season were Bedford's Madison Foster in the 1,600 (5:00.94) and 3,200 (10:47.55), Airport's Mara Szuper in the 1,600 (5:06.25), Huron's Madelyn Barbour in the 300 hurdles (:47.52), Whiteford's Ali Bauman in the pole vault (7-6), and Carlson's 400 relay (:52.61).
A full listing of the top athletes in this year's track and field season follows.
The top five times in each event are the season-best times for each athlete recorded in an official meet. Relays are one per school. The times are from results submitted to www.athletic.net.
1. Elizabeth Anderson, NB Huron – :12.23
2. Elyse Miller, Carlson – :12.28
3. Alexa Glancy, Jefferson – :12.50
4. Maraya Finklea, Carlson – :13.15
5. Riley Ivy, Carlson – :13.19
Honorable Mention: Cami Heath, Milan; Isabella Pisanti, Bedford; Meredith Soule, Monroe; Amaya Leslie, SMCC; Mia Garcia, Bedford; Megan Kane, Monroe; Natalie Motylinski, Ida; Jordan Hickey, NB Huron; Matley Rose, Monroe; Kaylie Bash, Mason.
Region Record: Debbie Baldridge, Jefferson, :11.9, 1982; Ariel Hatcher, Monroe, :11.9, 2007.
1. Elizabeth Anderson, NB Huron – :25.07
2. Elyse Miller, Carlson – :25.86
3. Meredith Soule, Monroe – :26.43
4. Alexa Glancy, Jefferson – :26.45
5. Maraya Finklea, Carlson – :27.18
Honorable Mention: Matley Rose, Monroe; Ally Betkey, Bedford; Lauren Fairbanks, Milan; Amaya Leslie, SMCC; Riley Ivy, Carlson; Veronica Fitzgerald, Jefferson; Ashley Ruhlig, SMCC; Adelle Robinson, Bedford; Alyssa Masserant, Jefferson; Madison Ruhlig, SMCC.
Region Record: Zoe Eby, Airport, :24.26, 2017.
1. Elizabeth Anderson, NB Huron – :56.28
2. Elyse Miller, Carlson – :58.84
3. Alexa Glancy, Jefferson – :59.61
4. Ally Betkey, Bedford – 1:00.43
5. Rebekah Asselin, Bedford – 1:00.45
Honorable Mention: Meredith Soule, Monroe; Tara Szuper, Airport; Matley Rose, Monroe; Olivia Bussell, Monroe; Veronica Fitzgerald, Jefferson; Alyssa Masserant, Jefferson; Adelle Robinson, Bedford; Gianna LaFata, Airport; Madison Foster, Bedford; Lauren Conant, SMCC.
Region Record: Elizabeth Anderson, New Boston Huron, :56.28, 2022.
1. Veronica Fitzgerald, Jefferson – 2:20.26
2. Rebekah Asselin, Bedford – 2:20.29
3. Kaylee Stein, Ida – 2:21.15
4. Madison Foster, Bedford – 2:23.04
5. Mara Szuper, Airport – 2:25.36
Honorable Mention: Tara Szuper, Airport; Jenna Pilachowski, Jefferson; Courtney Bovair, Airport; Olivia Bussell, Monroe; Sydney Dec, Bedford; Madison Duvall, Jefferson; Lauren Conant, SMCC; Lauren Sancrant, Bedford; Macy Carlton, SMCC; Alaina McClain, Whiteford.
Region Record: Lindsey Gakenheimer, Monroe, 2:15.40, 2007.
1. Madison Foster, Bedford – 5:00.94
2. Mara Szuper, Airport – 5:06.25
3. Lauren Sancrant, Bedford – 5:22.48
4. Kaylee Stein, Ida – 5:22.54
5. Jenna Pilachowski, Jefferson – 5:24.43
Honorable Mention: Riley Peer, Jefferson; Courtney Bovair, Airport; Kim Miller, Jefferson; Mya Orner, Bedford; Hannah Segrist, Milan; Rebekah Asselin, Bedford; Megan Woelkers, Flat Rock; Tara Szuper, Airport; Samantha Sexton, Bedford; Katelyn Dec, Bedford.
Region Record: Lindsey Gakenheimer, Monroe, 4:56.16, 2008.
1. Madison Foster, Bedford – 10:47.55
2. Jenna Pilachowski, Jefferson – 11:32.55
3. Lauren Sancrant, Bedford – 11:42.35
4. Kim Miller, Jefferson – 11:57.17
5. Riley Peer, Jefferson – 11:58.28
Honorable Mention: Mya Orner, Bedford; Megan Woelkers, Flat Rock; Courtney Bovair, Airport; Grace Norton, Carlson; Bridget Waterstradt, Dundee; Katelyn Bydlowski, Ida; Viktoria Bloniarz, Monroe; Samantha LaFountain, SMCC; Kaylee Hovey, Dundee; Izabella Loubser, Bedford.
Region Record: Bekah Smeltzer, Jefferson, 10:40.66, 2004.
100 METER HURDLES
1. Meredith Soule, Monroe – :14.94
2. Megan Kane, Monroe – :16.17
3. Emily Petty, Carlson – :16.67
4. MaryAlice Lynch, SMCC – :16.87
5. Madelyn Barbour, NB Huron – :17.12
Honorable Mention: Kaylie Bash, Erie Mason; Veronica Steinman, Bedford; Isabella Pisanti, Bedford; Mia Schroeder, Jefferson; Brooklynn McBee, Dundee; Kaylin Schroeder, Bedford; Natalie Kuti, Airport; Brianna Cousino, Dundee; Anastasia Hill, Milan; Veronica Sorter, Ida.
Region Record: Michelle Hayden, Dundee, :14.6, 1983.
300 METER HURDLES
1. Meredith Soule, Monroe – :43.89
2. Madelyn Barbour, NB Huron – :47.52
3. Emily Petty, Carlson – :49.12
4. Beth Sweeney, Mason – :49.99
5. Cami Heath, Milan – :50.59
Honorable Mention: Cameron Taylor, Summerfield; Mia Schroeder, Jefferson; Veronica Steinman, Bedford; Annabelle Gapp, Whiteford; Kaylin Schroeder, Bedford; Andria Konczal, Carlson; Isabella Thomas, Flat Rock; Sydney Mason, Airport; Veronica Sorter, Ida; Brianna Cousino, Dundee.
Region Record: Meredith Soule, Monroe, :43.89, 2022.
1. Kamryn Bice, Monroe – 37-3.75
2. Kelsey Trombly, NB Huron – 36-7.5
3. Madison McKinney, Jefferson – 33-7.5
4. Veda Legeza, Bedford – 33-2
Jaime Santiago, Bedford – 33-2
Honorable Mention: Kenzie Gray, Whiteford; Layla Tahmouch, Jefferson; Bella Awishes, Airport; Alyssa Bonanno, Flat Rock; Haley Luse, Whiteford; Oliva Henry, Milan; Joslyn Ball, Dundee; Sami Craanan, SMCC; MacKenzie LaRoy, Ida; Madison Steinman, Ida.
Region Record: Karen Sapp, Bedford, 45-7, 1983.
1. Kamryn Bice, Monroe – 119-4
2. Alyssa Bonanno, Flat Rock – 114-11
3. Madison McKinney, Jefferson – 113-7
4. Keslyn Cay, Summerfield – 105-2
5. Marissa Beck, Milan – 101-0
Honorable Mention: Joslyn Ball, Dundee; Bella Awishes, Airport; Emily Pedersen, Flat Rock; Kenzie Gray, Whiteford; Layla Tahmouch, Jefferson; Marie Redlin, Airport; Jaime Santiago, Bedford; Kelsey Trombly, NB Huron; Veda Legeza, Bedford; Alyssia Satkowski, Ida.
Region Record: Yvonne Laderach, Erie Mason, 134-6, 1985.
1. Faith Butler, Monroe – 5-0
Lauren Conant, SMCC – 5-0
Sophia Elmes, Ida – 5-0
Jaelyn Hall, Bedford – 5-0
5. Breeann Roupe, NB Huron – 4-10
Honorable Mention: Lauren Wilson, Carlson; Malea Wourman, Milan; Madison Rice, Airport; Emma Budd, Milan; Elizabeth Cochran, Bedford; Mylee Salenbien, Dundee; Isabella Seger-Wagasy, Monroe; Beth Sweeney, Mason; Reese Tolstyka, Carlson; Courtney Nye, Milan.
Region Record: Linda Stuck, Milan, 5-9, 1991.
1. Jenna Griffin, Milan – 16-6.5
2. Matley Rose, Monroe – 16-2
3. Jordan Hickey, NB Huron – 15-11
4. Natalie Motylinski, Ida – 15-9
5. Isabella Seger-Wagasy, Monroe
Honorable Mention: Ashley Ruhlig, SMCC; Elizabeth Cochran, Bedford; Kaylie Bash, Mason; Alyssa Masserant, Jefferson; Amaya Leslie, SMCC; Maddie Singer, NB Huron; Olivia Bussell, Monroe; Katie Powell, Jefferson; Lauren Wilson, Carlson; Kaylee McCormack, Bedford.
Region Record: Miranda Johnson, Whiteford, 18-9, 2014.
1. Rebekah Asselin, Bedford – 8-9
2. Madison LaVoy, Dundee – 8-0
Bailey Meiring, Mason – 8-0
Mollie Plock, Bedford – 8-0
5. Ali Bauman, Whiteford – 7-6
Alyssa Conley, Summerfield – 7-6
Honorable Mention: Brianna Cousino, Dundee; Gabriella Pisanti, Bedford; Sydney Curtis, Dundee; Megan Kane, Monroe; Jaden Moussaed, Bedford; Reese Waggoner, Bedford.
Region Record: Shari Harmon, Bedford, 12-0, 2007.
400 METER RELAY
1. SMCC (Madison Ruhlig, Amaya Leslie, MaryAlice Lynch, Ashley Ruhlig) – :51.79
2. New Boston Huron (Jordan Hickey, Kelsey Trombly, Chloe Evans, Elizabeth Anderson) – :52.54
3. Carlson (Emily Petty, Allie Milley, Maraya Finklea, Riley Ivy) – :52.61
4. Bedford (Mia Garcia, Veronica Steinman, Madilynn Scheuer, Isabella Pisanti) – :53.51
5. Milan (Jenna Griffin, Lauren Fairbanks, Emma Budd, Ryan Legier) – :54.46
Region Record: Milan, :49.8, 1983.
800 METER RELAY
1. New Boston Huron (Madelyn Barbour, Neena Hale, Chloe Evans, Elizabeth Anderson) – 1:49.71
2. Carlson (Emily Petty, Maraya Finklea, Riley Ivy, Andria Konczal) – 1:51.29
3. Milan (Jenna Griffin, Lauren Fairbanks, Cami Heath, Malea Wourman) – 1:52.12
4. Jefferson (Veronica Fitzgerald, Kirsten Vanisacker, Alyssa Masserant, Alexa Glancy) – 1:53.10
5. Bedford (Kadence Esser, Raegan VanEeckhoutte, Adelle Robinson, Isabella Pisanti) – 1:55.52
Region Record: Milan, 1:45.8, 1983.
1,600 METER RELAY
1. Jefferson (Veronica Fitzgerald, Ellie Hintz, Alyssa Masserant, Alexa Glancy) – 4:07.70
2. Bedford (Rebekah Asselin, Ally Betkey, Adelle Robinson, Emma Bushroe) – 4:15.97
3. Carlson (Riley Ivy, Emily Petty, Kylie Iwasko, Elyse Miller) – 4:18.56
4. SMCC (Macy Carlton, Ashley Ruhlig, Amaya Leslie, Lauren Conant) – 4:20.73
5. Airport (Tara Szuper, Madison Rice, Gianna LaFata, Mara Szuper) – 4:20.91
Region Record: Monroe, 4:01.06, 2007.
3,200 METER RELAY
1. Jefferson (Veronica Fitzgerald, Kim Miller, Alyssa Masserant, Jenna Pilachowski) – 9:36.93
2. Ida (Tessa Rigel, Emma Mandelka, Katelyn Bydlowski, Kaylee Stein) – 10:24.30
3. Airport (Avery Arsenault, Courtney Bovair, Tara Szuper, Mara Szuper) – 10:26.45
4. Bedford (Madison Foster, Lauren Sancrant, Samantha Sexton, Izabella Loubser) – 10:30.00
5. SMCC (Samantha LaFountain, Lauren Conant, Macy Carlton, Claire Lisker) – 10:32.50
Region Record: Bedford, 9:29.09, 202.
This article originally appeared on The Monroe News: Girls Track & Field Honor Roll: Sprinters attack Region records