- This is a preview of NAME OF REPORT research report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- 14-Day Risk Free Trial: Get full access to this and all Connectivity and Tech industry research reports.
The next generation of wireless is here, and several countries are locked in a fierce battle for the top spot in global 5G development. Telecoms in 18 countries will roll out 5G networks by the end of this year, and by 2020 over one-fifth of the world's countries will have launched 5G services.
Business Insider Intelligence
Securing global 5G leadership is a national priority for many countries because the winner is expected to secure more than a decade of competitive advantages. The spread of 5G is pivotal for the connected world — its technical upgrades will supercharge adoption of transformative technologies and strengthen the value of old ones.
5G will serve as the backbone of the fourth industrial revolution, and the global pacesetter for the new standard could become the same for connected technologies. All told, 5G technologies are expected to contribute $2.2 trillion to the global economy over the next 15 years.
In the Global 5G Landscape Report, Business Insider Intelligence identifies three countries — the United States, South Korea, and China — that are spearheading the 5G revolution. The report compiles 5G snapshots of the three countries, with each providing an overview of the market's telecoms space and details on what is contributing to — or hindering — its development. We look at the notable telecoms in each geography and identify their 5G launch efforts, as well as discuss what the opportunities are for each company.
The companies mentioned in this report are: AT&T, China Mobile, China Telecom, China Unicom, Ericsson, Huawei, KT, LG, LG Uplus, Nokia, Samsung, SK Telecom, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and ZTE
Here are some of the key takeaways from the report:
- The United States launched the world's first commercial 5G services in 2018 and will have twice as many commercial 5G deployments as the next leading nation by this year's end. The US is replicating the private-sector-led strategy it rode to 4G dominance to continue its leadership into the 5G era. This approach provides operators with autonomy over their own deployment strategies and methods, which fuels competition and ultimately drives innovation and investment as a result.
- South Korea was the second country in the world to deploy a 5G network, and it's on track to become the global leader in 5G penetration. Its speedy 5G deployment is the result of its government taking a hands-on approach in regulating the telecoms industry. South Korea's 5G subscriber base has already eclipsed 4G's growth rate in the first two months since 5G services launched in the country.
- China is the largest mobile market in the world and is expected to become the biggest 5G market by connections by 2025. Chinese government bodies are backing a range of policy initiatives to push the country to the front of the global 5G pack. China's three state-owned network operators are ramping up trials and tests to meet the country's launch target for the first phase of commercial 5G services later this year.
In full, the report:
- Identifies the three countries with a leading position in the global 5G race and provides an overview of the wireless industry in each country.
- Details the distinct strategies the countries are taking to define the future of 5G connectivity.
- Dives into the notable telecoms in each geography and provides an in-depth overview of their 5G launch efforts, as well as discusses what's ahead for each company and why it's worth watching.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now
- Subscribe to a Premium pass to Business Insider Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and more than 250 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you'll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
The choice is yours. But however you decide to acquire this report, you've given yourself a powerful advantage in your understanding of the fierce global 5G battle.