Godzicki and Angstrom lead sheriff and council elections in Boone

Preliminary results in Tuesday's special elections show Andrew Godzicki is going to stay as Boone County Sheriff and Kyle Angstrom is Boone's newest city council member.

Godzicki, a Republican, took 52.28% of the county-wide votes and Angstrom took 57.53% of the votes in Boone's city council special election, according to the Boone County Auditor's website.

Results are unofficial until the elections are certified.

Boone County Sheriff Andy Godzicki was appointed to the sheriff's position in January 2023. He was re-elected in a special election March 21, 2023 with 52.28% of the votes. Election results are preliminary until the county supervisors certify the election.
Boone County Sheriff Andy Godzicki was appointed to the sheriff's position in January 2023. He was re-elected in a special election March 21, 2023 with 52.28% of the votes. Election results are preliminary until the county supervisors certify the election.

"I want to thank everybody for the support," Godzicki said in a statement on Facebook. "I humbly accept the winning election results from the voting public. Thank you for trusting in me to be your elected sheriff of Boone County. I will not let you down."

Godzicki went on to say that he will try to equally serve the 47.54% of the voters who supported his competitor in the race, Boone County Sheriff Deputy Cory Rose.

"I will work hard to earn your vote in the future," he said in the post to the Rose supporters.

Rose indicated on his candidacy affidavit he's not affiliated with a political party.

Kyle Angstrom won the Boone City Council at-large seat special election March 21, 2023 with 57.53% of the votes. Election results are preliminary until the election is certified.
Kyle Angstrom won the Boone City Council at-large seat special election March 21, 2023 with 57.53% of the votes. Election results are preliminary until the election is certified.

Angstrom wins Boone City Council special election with broad support

Before the election results were posted, Angstrom told the voters in a Facebook post on Tuesday, "I want to thank everyone for their continued support. Let’s better Boone as a whole! I want you to be proud to tell people you’re from Boone!"

On his candidacy affidavit, Angstrom did not indicate a political party affiliation.

More news:A person has been living in a school bus in Ames for weeks. Is it legal?

More news:Nevada man sentenced to 10 years in prison for child pornography

In the Boone City Council race, other candidates were Deann Wood-Kluss, Democrat, with 24.32% of the votes, Patrick Shaw, unaffiliated, with 13.97% and Robert Alan Lay, Republican, with 3.9%.

A total of 2,678 votes were cast in the sheriff's race and 1,460 votes were cast in the city council race. According to the Boone County Auditor's website, there are 19,647 registered voters in the county. Slightly less than 14% of the registered voters in the county participated in the elections. The county auditor's website did not list the number of registered voters in the city of Boone nor the percentage of city voters in the election.

According to the Iowa Secretary of State website, the next regular election cycle is Nov. 7 for some city council and school board seats.

Teresa Kay Albertson covers politics, crime, courts and local government in Ames and central Iowa for the Ames Tribune and Des Moines Register. Reach her on Twitter @TeresaAlberts11 and at talbertson@registermedia.com, 515-419-6098.

This article originally appeared on Ames Tribune: Two special elections in Boone County keep communities moving forward