Governor Andrew Cuomo is taking action against electronic cigarettes.
On Sunday, the New York governor announced an emergency executive action to ban the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes in-state.
Gov. Cuomo tweeted the news and noted that State police and the New York Department of Health will "ramp up enforcement against retailers who sell to underage youth" and he will continue to "advance legislation to eliminate deceptive marketing of e-cigarettes" to young people.
BREAKING: Today I am announcing emergency executive action to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes.
-State Police and DOH to ramp up enforcement against retailers who sell to underage youth
-We will advance legislation to eliminate deceptive marketing of e-cigarettes to youth
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) September 15, 2019
SEE ALSO: Donald Trump wants to ban flavored vapes
Gov. Cuomo's emergency action comes after a "series of actions to combat the increasing number of youth using vape products." E-cigarette companies have faced a great deal of backlash for marketing flavored products, apparently to young people in hopes of enticing them to try vapes, which could ultimately lead to an increase in teen vaping and youth nicotine addiction.
"New York is confronting this crisis head-on and today we are taking another nation-leading step to combat a public health emergency," Gov. Cuomo said at today's event.
"Manufacturers of fruit and candy-flavored e-cigarettes are intentionally and recklessly targeting young people, and today we're taking action to put an end to it. At the same time, unscrupulous stores are knowingly selling vaping products to underage youth — those retailers are now on notice that we are ramping up enforcement and they will be caught and prosecuted."
Earlier this week, after reports of possible vape-related illnesses sparked concern in the medical world, President Trump also shared his thoughts on flavored vape products along with a desire to regulate them.
"It's not a wonderful thing," Trump said about vaping. "It's got big problems we’ve got to find out the extent of the problem."
First Lady Melania Trump also chimed in on the topic and expressed her concern in a tweet about "the growing epidemic of e-cigarette use in our children."
I am deeply concerned about the growing epidemic of e-cigarette use in our children. We need to do all we can to protect the public from tobacco-related disease and death, and prevent e-cigarettes from becoming an on-ramp to nicotine addiction for a generation of youth. @HHSGov
— Melania Trump (@FLOTUS) September 9, 2019
As Mashable noted in an earlier piece, Alex Azar, the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, said the specifics of the ban would take several weeks to put together. After the specifics are released the ban would then take 30 days to go into effect, and would remove all flavors, except tobacco, from the market.
The plan would reportedly let manufacturers of flavored vapes apply for FDA approval in 2020.