Grandmother speaks out after toddler shot on Lake Shore Drive

The grandmother of a toddler who was shot on Lake Shore Drive spoke exclusively with ABC7 after her boyfriend was charged following the shooting Thursday.

Video Transcript

MICHELLE GALLARDO: Mark, that's right. Kayden Swann remains in the pediatric ICU unit here at Lurie Children's Hospital. Doctors saying he's showing some sign of brain activity, which gives them hope. His grandmother telling me earlier, she and the rest of the family are just taking it one day at a time.

He's not out of the woods yet, but 21-month-old Kayden Swann is slowly but surely making progress, briefly brought out of a medically induced coma at Lurie Children's Hospital last night. Doctors and family saying he's showing positive signs.

CLIFTON MARVEL: He's moving around, and he's doing a whole lot better.

MICHELLE GALLARDO: And while their focus clearly remains with the little boy, today his grandmother and great-grandfather briefly turned their attention to the bond court hearing of 43-year-old Jushawn Brown.

Brown was driving the vehicle Kayden was riding along in with his grandmother Tuesday morning when investigators say a road-rage incident on Lakeshore Drive led him to pull a gun on another driver. The other driver fired back, hitting Kayden. In the head.

QULANA FARR: I haven't slept in two days. I can't sleep. I can't close my eyes. It's like a nightmare. It repeats over and over.

MICHELLE GALLARDO: While police will not say if they have yet taken the other driver into custody, Qulana Farr tells us she picked the man out of a lineup last night. But while he may have fired the shot that injured her grandson, she places the blame squarely on her now ex-boyfriend shoulders.

And believes that Brown should face more than just the one weapon's charge that was filed against him.

QULANA FARR: This all about bobbing and weaving in traffic. This wouldn't be. He initiated this.

CLIFTON MARVEL: He initiated this whole situation. If he had not fired shots at this other vehicle, none of this would have happened. Kayden would not be fighting today.

MICHELLE GALLARDO: And Farr is now afraid for her own safety fearing that her ex-boyfriend might be released. That bond hearing still ongoing at this time. In the meantime, Kayden's great-grandfather telling us he would welcome the opportunity to speak to both the mayor and police superintendent about this case.