Great Falls man faces charges after alleged shooting and police chase

·3 min read

Police over the weekend served a $500,000 warrant on a Great Falls man for five felonies and two misdemeanors stemming from an alleged June 23 shooting and subsequent police pursuit.

Tyson Allen Whiteplume, 38, is charged with aggravated kidnapping, criminal endangerment, negligent vehicular assault, and two counts of assault with a weapon, all felonies. He also faces misdemeanor charges of fleeing/eluding police and obstruction.

The following information comes directly from charging documents. The defendant is considered innocent until proven guilty.

On June 23, court documents state Whiteplume made contact with his wife, and she agreed to go for a drive with him. The two reportedly drove north of Great Falls to a dirt road and began discussing their marriage. At some point in the discussion, Whiteplume allegedly accused his wife of infidelity.

Court documents state Whiteplume then pulled out a handgun and began shooting. He reportedly shot about four rounds through the truck’s window, followed by several more rounds into the truck’s floorboards on the passenger side where his wife was sitting.

Whiteplume’s wife said he told her he was going to kill her and then himself. He then allegedly fired a round into his wife’s leg, which went into her left thigh and out through her buttock and into the seat.

Whiteplume reportedly told her, “I shot you, you’re dying,” and continued making threats on her life. His wife also reported that at some point, Whiteplume pistol-whipped her across the face and had taken her cell phone to prevent her from calling for help.

The woman told police Whiteplume ran out of ammunition after shooting her in the leg. She said she told Whiteplume that if he drove back to town, she would buy him more ammunition.

The woman said they stopped at several places but ended up at Capital Pawn. She said she entered the store and Whiteplume followed her. She said she asked staff to use the restroom. Staff said they noted she had blood on her face and said she told them she had been shot.

Employees escorted the woman to a back room to get her away from Whiteplume and called 911. When Whiteplume found out staff had called law enforcement, he allegedly fled the store, leading police on a vehicle chase.

Pursuing officers located Whiteplume near 9th Street and 2nd Avenue South and chased him to the 1500 block of 10th Avenue South, where he reportedly collided with another vehicle. The driver of that vehicle suffered a broken sternum.

After the crash, Whiteplume allegedly exited the truck with the firearm. As he did, one patrol car narrowly missed hitting him, and another struck him as he continued to flee his truck.

Police say they located the firearm that was in Whiteplume’s hand underneath the vehicle Whiteplume struck with his truck. Whiteplume was transported to the hospital, where he was treated for a broken leg and a concussion.

Police allegedly found blood inside Whiteplume’s truck as well as numerous alcoholic beverage containers. The affidavit states that preliminary reports indicate that Whiteplume’s blood alcohol content was above the legal driving limit of 0.08.

Whiteplume was discharged from the hospital and is housed in the Cascade County Detention Center as of Monday afternoon.

Criminal justice reporter Traci Rosenbaum reports on law enforcement issues for the Tribune. Have ideas or questions for Traci on her beat? Reach her at

Follow her on Twitter @GFTrib_TRosenba.

Support Traci's journalism: Subscribe today!

Have a news tip for us? Click here.

This article originally appeared on Great Falls Tribune: Great Falls man faces charges after alleged shooting and police chase