WBZ-TV's Mike LaCrosse reports.
- New Hampshire's governor says that state will be open for travelers this summer. And it's great news for those who rely on tourists. WBZ's Mike LaCrosse hit the seacoast to see how businesses are preparing.
MIKE LACROSSE: Silka, [INAUDIBLE], and her fellow cowgirls had Hampton beach all to themselves on this chilly Friday.
- The waves are pounding. The wind today was blowing the sand and that sort of thing.
MIKE LACROSSE: They are staying super hopeful that better days are ahead.
- Fingers crossed. Fingers crossed.
MIKE LACROSSE: New Hampshire Governor Sununu is expecting the tourism industry in the state to start bouncing back.
CHRIS SUNUNU: I tell everyone to plan big, plan for a successful summer and a summer that looks more like 2019 than 2020.
MIKE LACROSSE: Businesses here in Portsmouth are already gearing up for what they hope will be a busy summer.
DAGAN MIGIRDITCH: Every summer will be better than last summer.
MIKE LACROSSE: Liars Bench Beer and Bodega in Portsmouth is bringing on more staff and is ready to safely fill up their patio.
DAGAN MIGIRDITCH: We're circling these wagons for the next month and a half. But as soon as all those vaccinations are administered, and the sun is back out, we're ready to go.
PETER MELVIN: This is the breakfast room.
MIKE LACROSSE: And down the street at the Hotel Portsmouth, rooms are starting to sell out.
PETER MELVIN: We're getting a lot of people calling us, inquiring about availability. And also the wedding business is just going to be, I think, off the charts come this summer.
- I think you make it what you want it to be.
MIKE LACROSSE: Riding into the summer with a sense of optimism the pandemic could soon be behind us.
- More cowgirling up, more ride, lots of rides.
MIKE LACROSSE: At Hampton beach, I'm Mike LaCrosse WBZ News.
- OK, that was the most spectacularly beautiful picture of those horses on the beach. I want to do that.
- I had no idea.
- I rode a horse--
- That's amazing.
- --on the beach in the ocean once--
- Yeah, but not in New Hampshire.
- --in Jamaica. No, in Jamaica.