Harry Styles’s stalker sent him 8,000 cards in one month, court hears

A Brazilian woman has appeared in court charged with stalking Harry Styles
A Brazilian woman has appeared in court charged with stalking Harry Styles - IAN WEST/PA

A woman charged with stalking Harry Styles hand-delivered or sent more than 8,000 cards to the star’s home in one month, a court heard.

Myra Carvalho, 35, travelled from her native Brazil and was staying at a backpackers hostel in Earl’s Court, west London, when she is said to have sent the barrage of mail including wedding cards.

Ms Carvalho, who has a partner at home in Brazil, left without her parents’ knowledge and expressed “sexual urges” towards the 30-year-old singer, Harrow Crown Court heard on Tuesday.

Ms Carvalho attended the plea and trial preparation hearing via video link from Bronzefield jail in Surrey as her parents attended in person.

The defendant’s barrister, Clementine Simon, told the court her client’s doctor in Brazil believed she was suffering from a “manic episode” and questioned if she was fit to enter a plea.

A provisional trial date was set for the summer.

Ms Carvalho did not enter a plea to a charge of stalking involving serious alarm or distress. She is being psychiatrically assessed to determine whether she is fit to do so.

‘Intense nature of harassment’

Alejandra Llorente Tascon, prosecuting, told the court Ms Carvalho committed a series of offences against Styles over a long period of time, but had “intensified” between last November and January this year. She arrived in the UK in December.

“She sent a total of 8,000 cards in one month,” Ms Tascon said. “Some [were] hand-delivered and others were delivered via a third-party company online.

“This defendant has travelled all the way from Brazil, and has frequently and to an extremely intense nature [harassed Styles] by sending over 8,000 cards and describing sexual urges towards him.

“She has a partner [in Brazil] ... It also causes great concern to the complainant. She hand-delivered letters and wedding cards.”

Ms Simon told His Honour Judge Karim Ezzat that Ms Carvalho had travelled to the UK without her parents’ knowledge and had been staying at a backpackers’ hostel in Earls Court.

Judge Ezzat set a provisional trial date for July this year, telling Ms Carvalho: “You are not being asked to enter a plea today.”

Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 3 months with unlimited access to our award-winning website, exclusive app, money-saving offers and more.