Health Solutions celebrates 60 years breaking down stigmas, caring for southern Coloradans

The nonprofit healthcare organization Health Solutions is marking 60 years of saving lives this month and celebrating the brave caregivers who helped create the local mental health center.

Instead what was then the approach of keeping mental health patients locked up behind closed doors and isolated, those caregivers wanted to help Puebloans move out of institutions and work on their recovery in a less restrictive environment. It was a newfangled approach six decades ago and was not popular or mainstream.

"It was a pretty big deal,” said Jason Chippeaux, chief executive officer for Health Solutions. "It's interesting to think about, 60 years ago this month, people were daydreaming about opening a community mental health center."

"Now we are seeing 625 patients a day and we are open 24 hours a day seven days a week. I am sure they couldn’t even have dreamt of such a thing,” at that time, he said.

The agency was founded as Spanish Peaks Mental Health Center in September 1962. Back then, it was housed in the basement of the former health department building in the 100 block of Central Main Street across from the former police department, said Rob Kepplinger, Health Solutions executive vice president.

“We started with just two or three staff members and currently we have about 450,” Kepplinger said.

“Our number of buildings also has grown tremendously as we have 14 service delivery sites and over 20 buildings,” Chippeaux said.

During the past six decades the agency has served the residents of Pueblo, Las Animas and Huerfano counties. Part of its growth has been in the primary health care arena, going beyond mental health services, Chippeaux explained.

“We added a broader spectrum of primary care in 2016 because we were seeing in research, nationally and in Colorado, the average person experiencing a severe, persistent mental illness was dying 25 years earlier than their counterpart in the general population,” Chippeaux said. “Many of the deaths were being attributed to a lack of access or engagement in the physical health category."

Those health care services are offered at 41 Montebello Road, Suite 116. Care is open to everyone in the community, he said.

More treatment news:Addiction treatment, not felonization, is needed to address the fentanyl crisis

Future plans are for children and family-focused care

In the near future, Health Solutions' continued growth will happen at the former El Pueblo Adolescent Treatment Community property at 1591 Taos Road on the St. Charles Mesa. Health Solutions is working to retool the space to create a premiere youth and family services center on the north side of the property.

There will be an early childhood daycare, a therapeutic preschool program, learning space and fun amenities like a rock wall climbing experience. Traditional behavioral health services as well as pediatric and family medical care also will be offered at the site.

“It was always a kid-focused space and to be able to utilize that for a robust health care continuum for the community in Pueblo County is a pretty cool feature," Chippeaux said. "It is like a 2.0 version of the former ranch so that is a focal point for us for the next 12 to 18 months, to include that early childhood development component."

The family center is being designed as a place where children who are struggling in school, being bullied, or wanting to harm themselves can receive help. Health Solutions also serves adults on journeys of wellness and recovery, from acute and chronic patients to those with mild and moderate symptoms.

“It’s a beautiful tapestry of healing that is occurring on a daily basis. It’s doctors that are coming for their kids' treatment, blue collar workers, professionals,” he said. "We are helping people get back to work or overcome addictions. We're helping young moms get daycare for their kids so they can go back to work."

Chippeaux said the agency’s legacy is “not just our organization's story – it's a community story."

"It’s a testament to the investment, passion and vision of officials in all three counties over the last 60 years," he said.

Kepplinger, who just started his 47th year with the agency, has worked under four directors. When he started working at Health Solutions in 1976, his boss Chippeaux was just 3 years old.

“To have someone who has been with the organization for over two-thirds of its lifespan is one of the unique features we have — a lot of longevity. A lot of folks have spent decades dedicating their professions to this very special population,” Chippeaux said.

Health Solutions will celebrate its anniversary Sept. 15 with a reception involving community leaders. Staff also will receive recognition, gifts, cookies and more.

The Pueblo County Commissioners on Thursday declared Sept. 1 as Health Solutions Day in honor of the agency’s 60-year legacy.

More health news:Healthy in Pueblo: FDA warns about joint pain drug, Pueblo joins overdose response program

Chieftain reporter Tracy Harmon covers business news. She can be reached by email at tharmon@chieftain.com or via Twitter at twitter.com/tracywumps.

This article originally appeared on The Pueblo Chieftain: Pueblo's Health Solutions celebrates 60 years saving lives in Pueblo