Help available for storm recovery

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Monica Faram, Cleburne Times-Review, Texas
·2 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Feb. 22—The snow and ice may be gone, but left behind are busted water pipes, torn-up roads and more for Johnson County's 150,000 residents.

President Joe Biden on Saturday declared a major disaster in Texas and asked federal agencies to identify additional resources to address the suffering.

Biden said Friday that he hopes to travel to Texas sometime this week, but does not want to distract from the recovery process.

"They're working like the devil to take care of their folks," Biden said of Texas officials.

Biden's major disaster declaration provides assistance for disaster survivors in 77 counties, including Johnson County. This assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the storm.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has shipped dozens of generators and supplies, including fuel, water, blankets and ready-to-eat meals, to the affected areas.

If you sustained damage from snow and ice during the winter storms and you have insurance, contact your insurance company and then FEMA. Your insurance claim information is needed to determine eligibility for federal assistance.

If you are uninsured, the fastest and easiest way to apply for assistance is online at You can apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week, no waiting or delays.

FEMA programs do not pay for fuel or cover food losses. If you have immediate needs for food or shelter, you may contact 2-1-1 for local resources.

If you were affected by the winter storms in Texas, you can apply for disaster assistance online by selecting "Apply Online." During the application process, select the cause of damage snow/ice amongst other damages that may have occurred.

Applicants are required to inform FEMA of all insurance coverage such as flood, homeowners, renter's, etc. that may be available to them. Insured applicants must provide FEMA documentation such as an insurance settlement or denial letter to process their application.

For more information or to sign up for assistance, visit