Immigrants brace for ICE raids in cities across the nation
Anxious immigrants waited in fear Sunday as federal raids promised by President Donald Trump failed to materialize, with advocates staffing hotlines and visiting churches to reassure worried families. The president said the raids would start Sunday, leading many to worry that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents would conduct their usual predawn raids. But as hours passed Sunday, immigration attorneys and advocates said they had not heard of unusual ICE activity. The president said the raids will primarily target immigrants with criminal convictions or those previously ordered deported. On Friday, San Francisco Mayor London Breed said city police would not cooperate with ICE: “If you want to come after them, you’re going to have to come through us,” she said.
- Vice President Mike Pence got a first-hand look at border detention facilities in McAllen and Donna, Texas. Here's what he saw.
Trump tells congresswomen to 'go back' to 'places from which they came'
President Donald Trump on Sunday called for unspecified Democratic congresswomen to "go back" to the countries he says they "originally came" from before trying to make legislative changes in the United States. Trump's words, posted on Twitter, drew accusations of xenophobia and racism. Many presumed Trump’s tweets were directed at Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib. Three of those four lawmakers were born in the U.S.; Omar came to the U.S. as a refugee from Somalia and has been an American citizen since 2000. "Mr. President, As Members of Congress, the only country we swear an oath to is the United States," Omar tweeted in response. "Which is why we are fighting to protect it from the worst, most corrupt and inept president we have ever seen."
Barry's slow march toward Arkansas brings fears of flooding, tornadoes
Reclassified from a tropical storm to a tropical depression late Sunday afternoon, Barry moved agonizingly slowly across Louisiana, expected to arrive Monday in Arkansas, producing thunderstorms and torrents of rain that may cause widespread flooding. Barry's maximum sustained winds were at 35 mph, and it was expected to weaken further as it moved north at a leisurely 9 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. After making landfall Saturday, Barry was expected to produce total rain accumulations of 6 to 12 inches over south-central Louisiana. In some places, rainfall could total 20 inches, the hurricane center said.
The hurricane center said tornadoes were possible across portions of southeastern Louisiana, Mississippi, western Alabama, eastern Arkansas and western Tennessee.
About 130,000 Louisiana customers were without power, but outages fell to 88,000 Sunday afternoon as electricity was restored.
- Former "Fox & Friends" co-host Clayton Morris left the country amid dozens of lawsuits claiming he defrauded investors in real estate deals.
- Juul's CEO apologized to parents amid the nation's teen vaping epidemic.
- Former pro golfer Kendra Little opened up on YouTube about her gender-identity struggle and why she left the sport.
- "This has got to be wrong": A disabled veteran's home was sold at auction over a $236 tax bill.
- A former teacher in Arizona was sentenced to 20 years in prison after she pleaded guilty to molesting a 13-year-old student.
Djokovic tops Federer in epic final to claim fifth Wimbledon title
Roger Federer may be the greatest of all time, but Novak Djokovic is the current king. The world No. 1 showed that Sunday, beating Federer in an epic Wimbledon men's final. Djokovic outlasted the No. 2 seed to win his fifth Wimbledon title and 16th Grand Slam. The match was historic on several levels. It was the first tiebreaker to decide a Wimbledon title in the championship's history. All-England Club announced in October 2018 that it would introduce a fifth-set tiebreaker for the 2019 tournament. It was the longest final in Wimbledon history at 4 hours, 55 minutes. Djokovic, 32, became the first man in the Open era over age 30 to successfully defend a Wimbledon title. It was his fourth major title since turning 30, something only Federer, Rafael Nadal and Rod Laver have accomplished in the Open era.
Power is restored in New York City after massive blackout
New York City tried to regain its footing Sunday after a massive power outage left thousands of without electricity Saturday amid questions of how the blackout happened. Utility company Con Edison said the final impacted customers from the outage – which affected more than 72,000 customers along 30 blocks from Times Square to the Upper West Side – had power restored just before midnight Saturday. The outage shut down Broadway shows and a Jennifer Lopez concert at Madison Square Garden, gridlocked streets as drivers attempted to navigate without traffic lights and left stunned tourists and residents wandering darkened sidewalks. Mayor Bill de Blasio said police confirmed there was no foul play involved and that the outage was caused by a "mechanical issue." New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who deployed New York state troopers Saturday evening, has directed an investigation into the cause of the outage.
This is a compilation of stories from across the USA TODAY Network.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Trump, ICE raids, Juul and Hurricane Barry: The weekend's biggest news