POINT PLEASANT BORO – Point Pleasant Boro schools have set up a list of rules now that the district has scheduled a modified, in-person, commencement on July 8th, with a rain date of July 9th.
Seniors, in full regalia, will graduate on Al Saner Field as has been the honored tradition at Point Pleasant Borough High School.
In order to comply with the New Jersey mandate of no more than 500 people for outdoor gatherings, here's how it will work, according to Principal Kurt Karcich:
- The commencement will be split into two sessions.
- The ceremonies will run back-to-back with time allotted for sanitizing in between sessions.
- In addition, a maximum of two (2) guests per graduate will be allowed.
- To reduce contact, no tickets will be issued. Therefore, the graduate and two guests must arrive together at the designated entry point in order to gain entry to the stadium and field. There will be no entry for either of the two guests without the graduate. No other people will be permitted access.
- Graduates are to arrive dressed in full regalia (cap, gown, tassels/sashes as it applies to them). Please make sure the cap is on properly and securely fastened.
- Face coverings will be required when entering the stadium. Once inside, all spectators are encouraged to wear them throughout the ceremony.
- At the entry point, the graduate and two guests will be checked in by a staff member. At check-in, each person’s temperature will be taken to ensure the safety of all participants. Entry will be denied for anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater.
- Parents/guardians will take their seats at appropriately distanced marked points on the bleachers and graduates will be directed to their assigned seats on the field.
- The ceremony will be split into two sessions to ensure compliance with capacity restrictions. The ceremony will be abbreviated to shorten exposure time for all persons on the field and in the bleachers.
- In lieu of a procession to their seats, graduates will be directed to their socially-distanced, assigned seats.
- A limited number of faculty, staff, and administrators will be in attendance to successfully facilitate the commencement and remain in compliance.
- Sharing or exchanging materials of any kind poses an increased risk of transmission/spread of COVID19.
In order to minimize this risk, the district is taking several measures (per NJDOE guidelines):
- Diplomas will not be handed to the graduates in traditional fashion. The graduates, when called, will walk up to the front table and pick up their diplomas.
- The traditional “cap toss” is strongly discouraged per NJDOE guidelines.
- Speeches will be limited in order to reduce the use of a shared microphone (which will still be sanitized between speakers).
- At the conclusion of the ceremony, please meet your graduate off the field and promptly exit the stadium.
Precautions to reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Stay home if you are not feeling well, have symptoms of respiratory illness, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- Remain 6-feet apart from other attendees at all times, excluding immediate family members, caretakers, or household members.
- The bleachers, chairs, and other high-touch items will be properly wiped down and sanitized before and after each session.
- Sanitizer stations will be available at the entrances.