Hoey: Beach Concert-Goers Without Masks Jeopardize Future Events

Ellyn Santiago

GUILFORD, CT — In his latest update, First Selectman Matt Hoey called out people who were not wearing masks during last week's Parks & Rec summer beach concert at Jacobs Beach.

"While we were adhering to current state guidelines on gathering sizes and stressing the importance of the required social distancing and use of masks, not all attendees complied," he said. "This clearly puts future events in jeopardy."

Hoey said he would be "working with Parks & Rec to address enforcement measures and the possibility of requiring attendees at these events to wear masks."

Hoey also noted that the town, based on state guidance, has continued to re-open access to facilities and services. He said that beginning Wednesday, July 1, lifeguards will be on duty at Jacobs Beach, and the beach area playground will be open. Hoey said playgrounds at the schools and Bittner Park will also be open and the town is looking at re-opening Lake Quonnipaug the second week of July, when the state is expected to re-open inland water park access.

The First Selectman also announced that Guilford has 102 confirmed coronavirus cases and 10 people have died, but he noted that "confirmed case count differs from earlier reports as the Department of Public Health has revised their data sets."

Hoey also updated residents on Gov. Ned Lamont's latest executive order about out-of-state visitors coming from states experiencing high infection rates, and shared details on Connecticut's reopening plan for public schools in September. He noted that the first day of school for Guilford students is Sept. 8.




This article originally appeared on the Guilford Patch