Home destroyed in Thanksgiving fire

·1 min read
A Carlsbad home caught fire on Thanksgiving. The following day homeowners Sherry and Patrick Ellis attempted to clean and salvage what they could on Nov. 26.
A Carlsbad home caught fire on Thanksgiving. The following day homeowners Sherry and Patrick Ellis attempted to clean and salvage what they could on Nov. 26.

The Carlsbad Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 1100 block of Church Street on Thanksgiving Day, according to the Eddy County dispatch report.

Records show that an emergency call was made at 3:24 p.m. on Sept. 25 reporting a fire had ignited.

Homeowner Patrick Ellis said he thinks the fire was caused by old wiring and electrical issues.

The Current-Argus has reached out to the Carlsbad Fire Department and is awaiting further details.

Damage could be seen from the side of the road. The scent of burning wood still lingered the following day.

His wife Sherry Ellis said her parents bought the house in 1958 and it had been in her family since then.

The extensive damage caused by a house fire on Thanksgiving could be seen from the side of the road.
The extensive damage caused by a house fire on Thanksgiving could be seen from the side of the road.

As they tried to clean up and salvage what they could, the Ellis' mourned the loss of their beloved dog Trigger, that died in the fire.

Patrick said they were in the process of remodeling the home when the house caught fire.

A Go Fund Me was created in the couple's name to gather donations.

"We received heartbreaking news today, my uncle and aunt lost their entire home and everything in it to a house fire," the Go Fund Me created by Joshua Byerly stated.

"Right now we are trying to figure out what to do for them so I, along with a family member decided to start this fund to try and help them get back on their feet."

Claudia Silva is a reporter from the UNM Local Reporting Fellowship. She can be reached at csilva2@currentargus.com, by phone at 575-628-5506 or on Twitter @thewatchpup.

This article originally appeared on Carlsbad Current-Argus: Home destroyed in Thanksgiving fire