Hooversville dedicates bridge to fallen Marine from Korean War

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

A bridge in Hooversville was dedicated Wednesday afternoon to a young Marine from the borough who died while serving his country nearly 70 years ago.

“From today forward, the citizens of Somerset County and members of the traveling public will be able to see the signage that honors Private First Class Howard Hahn and remember that he made the ultimate sacrifice protecting the citizens of the United States,” said Tom Prestash, district executive for PennDOT District 9, which includes Somerset County.

“This is an honor that will be in place for future generations to see.”

More military news:Wounded Warrior Project at Meyersdale

State Rep. Carl Walker Metzgar and Hahn’s nephew, Dennis Ryniak, of Boswell, then unveiled signs designating the bridge, which carries state Route 4021 over the Stonycreek River into Hooversville Borough, as the Private First Class Howard Hahn Memorial Bridge.

“The bravery of our men and women and the greatness of our country through that bravery is something that we can’t let go,” said Metzgar, who sponsored the bill in the state House of Representatives to name the bridge for Hahn.

“It’s something we have to always remember and try to convey to the children of our communities, so that they realize that not only do they come from some of the finest heritage in the world, but they still live in the greatest country in the world.

“It is my hope that with this bridge naming that Private Hahn will live forever in our memory.”

State Sen. Pat Stefano also attended and gave remarks during the dedication ceremony.

Old Glory:'This is what we stand for': CT students, local VFW lead the charge for school's new flags

Who was Pfc. Howard Hahn?

Howard J. Hahn, known locally as “Chip,” was born on Feb. 4, 1931, in Hooversville. He was the second oldest of Howard and Elizabeth (Anzalone) Hahn’s five children: Lawrence, Howard, Tressa, William and James. Their father operated a small grocery store and gas pumps at the family home along the bank of the Stonycreek River. In fact, the family home still stands next to the current bridge.

In his civilian life, Chip Hahn was active in the Hooversville Volunteer Fire Company, the Rod & Gun Club, Game Protective Association and the Evangelical United Brethren Church.

He enlisted in the Marine Corps in November 1951 and served in Company G, 3rd Battalion in the First Marines Division. He was just 22 years old when he died in combat on March 19, 1953, in Korea. His remains were sent home, and he was buried at the nearby Patriotic Order Sons of America, aka POS of A, cemetery in Shade Township.

Steve Swintosky, a member of Hooversville VFW Post No. 7565, recalled that his father brought him along to the Berkebile Funeral Home — which was located next to the Hahn home — to pay their respects during visitation hours.

“I was about 6 years old,” Swintosky said. “The VFW members were lining up (along) the steps to the funeral home.”

Prestash said Hahn was awarded many commendations for his military service, some of which include the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Korean Service medal, the National Defense Service medal and the Bronze Star Medal with combat “V” device.

A poster about the Korean War Veterans Memorial that hangs inside the Hooversville VFW includes service photos of three young men from the borough — Hahn, Frank Kolonich and Bill Mitchell — who died while serving in Korea.

Honoring the past:How this historic Somerset cemetery came to be under new care after more than 130 years.

Honoring a hero

Orbie Pepley, a Bedford County resident who grew up in Hooversville and was a friend of Hahn’s, suggested in 2018 that the community should have the bridge dedicated to Hahn, according to John Krajnak of the Hooversville Historical Society.

The historical society compiled some information on Hahn and turned that over to the Hooversville VFW, whose members then sent a letter in September 2019 to Metzgar’s office asking for the bridge dedication.

Frank Kaminsky, commander of the Hooversville VFW post, said the dedication was a fitting tribute to the sacrifices made by “a brave young Marine” and his family.

“We do this (dedication) so his name will live on as a permanent reminder of not only his wartime service and sacrifice but the sacrifice of his family as well,” Kaminsky said.

“He was willing to answer that call of service to his country and he paid the ultimate price. Today we honor him and say how grateful we are. It’s a fitting tribute that we honor his memory in the community he loved, by naming this bridge after him – so for generations to come, residents will remember the sacrifice their hometown son made for their freedom.”

Hahn’s sister, Tressa (Hahn) Ryniak, and a brother, William Hahn, are still living. Dennis Ryniak said neither sibling was able to attend the bridge dedication ceremony due to health concerns.

“I’ve seen a lot of other bridges named for people, so it’s very nice to have this,” Ryniak said.

This article originally appeared on The Daily American: Hooversville Marine killed in Korea is honored at bridge dedication