Horrific New Info on How Boston Suspect Drove Over Older Brother in Midnight Escape

Erica Ritz
Police Chief Edward Deveau: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Drove Over Brother Tamerlan to Escape

This combination of undated photos shows Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, left, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. Credit: AP

The Boston Globe reported Friday afternoon that 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev "ran over his own wounded brother [Tamerlan Tsarnaev] as he fled police" Thursday night.

Both brothers are suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing that saw three killed and more than 180 injured.

But on Saturday, Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau gave more shocking details from the violent scene to CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

"We estimate there was over 200 shots fired in a five- to 10-minute period," Deveau said.  The brothers were throwing improvised explosives like those that detonated at the marathon, and "came out shooting -- shooting guns, handguns."

He relayed the horrific scene where Dzhokhar allegedly drove over his older brother:

"[Tamerlan] all of a sudden comes out from under cover and just starts walking down the street, shooting at our police officers, trying to get closer," Deveau said. "Now, my closest officer is five to 10 feet away, and they're exchanging gunfire between them. And he runs out of ammunition -- the bad guy -- and so one of my police officers comes off the side and tackles him in the street.

"We're trying to get him handcuffed. There's two or three police officers handcuffing him in the street -- the older brother. At the same time, at the last minute -- they obviously have tunnel vision, it's a very, very stressful situation -- one of them yells out, 'Look out!' and here comes the black SUV, the carjacked car, directly at them. They dive out of the way, and he (the younger brother) drives over his brother and drags him a short distance down the street."  [Emphasis added]

Watch the entire interview with Wolf Blitzer, courtesy of CNN, below:

Dr. David Schoenfeld said 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev had so many penetrating wounds when he arrived at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center early Friday that it isn't clear which ones killed him, and a medical examiner will have to determine the cause of death.

Doctors pronounced him dead after 15 minutes of unsuccessful treatment.

Dzhokhar was captured alive in Watertown Friday night after a day-long manhunt that essentially shut down the city.  He is under heavy guard at the hospital, and is reportedly in serious but stable condition.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.