HVAC malfunction leads to brief evacuation of Cobb court building

Mar. 9—A scare caused by an overheated component of the air conditioning system led authorities to briefly evacuate a building in the Cobb courthouse complex Thursday morning.

Col. Ryan Mehling with the Cobb County Sheriff's Office told the MDJ a HVAC motor in the basement of Building D, located at the corner of Haynes and Roswell streets, overheated and caused smoke and a burning odor in the building around 10 a.m. Thursday.

"We evacuated the building just for people's safety and Marietta (Fire) came out and determined that the building was clear after they found the air handler that was smoking," Mehling said.

The building was deemed safe by about 10:15 a.m., and crews were already at work repairing the damaged motor, Mehling added.