Ice cream shop patrons in Newmarket sickened. THC is blamed.

NEWMARKET — THC in ice cream served by a local business is believed to have sickened several customers recently, according to police.

Roots Local Cafe & Catering posted a statement apologizing to patrons and stating it will never again serve the Angelo’s Amore brand ice cream believed to be the source of the THC.

Police said several customers checked themselves into hospitals March 17-18 with symptoms that included "severe dizziness, weakness and exceptionally high heart rates." One person remained overnight in the hospital and one was a juvenile, police said, adding all have recovered.

Newmarket police said they are working with the Food and Drug Administration to investigate, noting THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the primary psychoactive component in marijuana.

More local news:Seacoast real estate agent suspended. RE/MAX closing Dover, Exeter, Hampton franchises.

Ice cream in a local shop contained THC, according to police.
Ice cream in a local shop contained THC, according to police.

"We are saddened by this news for those involved, as well as outraged that this could happen to anyone," a post on the Roots Local Cafe & Catering Facebook page reads. We are fully cooperating with the police and assure you that all his ice cream has been removed from this store. Our deepest apologies to all involved and we promise we will do everything in our power to make sure this never happens to anyone ever again."

Police said the business owners have been cooperative and "immediately forfeited" the ice cream for testing.

More local news:Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier owner retiring. Iconic spot to be listed for $3.9 million.

This article originally appeared on Portsmouth Herald: THC in ice cream blamed after Newmarket NH shop customers are sickened