Illinois State Fair opens with emphasis on growth, progress

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The Illinois State Fair kicked off Thursday with an emphasis on the state's continued growth and recovery following a set of rocky years caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Gov. JB Pritzker joined Secretary of State Jesse White, Lt. Gov. Juliana Stratton, Illinois Department of Agriculture Director Jerry Costello, Springfield Mayor Jim Langfelder and other distinguished guests in cutting the ribbon for the state's annual cultural celebration, emphasizing the fair's theme, "Grow with Us," as they did.

"This year's theme is very appropriate to celebrate all of the advances in the state of Illinois, including the advancements in our agriculture industry," Pritzker said.

More news:'Our history.' Supporters of Springfield Race Riot memorial pack park service forum

While much of the fair has returned to normal following a year canceled due to COVID and another year where COVID restrictions were in place, changes are in store for the venerable facility, with road work being completed near the cattle and swine barns and the Avenue of Flags and construction underway on a $8.6 million renovation of the Multi-Purpose Arena, which will be completed in time for the 2023 fair.

The renovations will continue after the fair, with work beginning on the second phase of renovations to the Coliseum among other projects designed to help make the fairgrounds more of a year-round experience.

"(They) will allow us to use this facility in so many ways, often times year-round," Costello said.

As for this year's fair, director Rebecca Clark said a priority was to make sure that admission costs remained steady, a large undertaking considering persistent inflation affecting the pocketbooks of many in Illinois.

"I'm a mom with four small kids, (so) I know exactly what it takes to bring a family out to the Illinois State Fair," Clark said. "That's why it was important for us to hold the line on prices everywhere we could. We want this to be an experience for fairgoers and families alike. There's no change in the cost of admission, parking or a Mega Pass this year."

She also emphasized the many new, interactive attractions coming to the fairgrounds this year, such as "Dino Don" Lessem's Giant Dinosaurs exhibit in Happy Hollow, along with free live music and the diverse Grandstand lineup that opens Friday with country star Sam Hunt.

"We hope that you all come out and enjoy the fair," Clark said.

Those experiencing the attractions and new activities this year included the Waller family of Mascoutah, here to compete in one of the many 4-H competitions. Dawn Waller, the family matriarch, said the family enjoys coming to the fair in order to walk through the exhibit halls – such as the Dairy Building – ride the Sky Glide and see the Twilight Parade.

"This is a fun trip not too far from home," Waller said. "It's our last hurrah before summer ends and school starts."

More news:16-year-old dies following Wednesday night shooting in Springfield

The first day of the fair also proved to be a celebration of one of the state's most venerable officials – White, who is retiring following 24 years as secretary of state. Pritzker used much of his speech to praise the work White did not just in his state government role, but for so many young people in Chicago through community work such as the Jesse White Tumblers.

"(He) is the very definition of a statesman and a public servant," Pritzker said. "From his time in the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division, to his 24 years as the longest-serving secretary of state in Illinois history, Secretary White's contributions to this state and nation are far-reaching and all-encompassing. Many of you have seen him and the Jesse White Tumblers on these fairgrounds over the years. These young people and all of us awe-struck audience members have succeeded because of Secretary White. I could not think of a better person to lead this year's Twilight Parade."

This article originally appeared on State Journal-Register: Illinois State Fair opens with emphasis on growth