'I'm A Celebrity' camp broken into during Storm Arwen

·TV Reporter
·2 min read
Gwrych Castle near Abergele in Conwy County Borough, North Wales, which will be used for year's I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!. Picture date: Friday September 10, 2021. (Photo by Peter Byrne/PA Images via Getty Images)
Gwrych Castle was hit by Storm Arwen at the weekend. (PA Images via Getty Images)

The I'm A Celebrity castle camp was targeted by trespassers during Storm Arwen, who have been condemned for putting themselves and security staff in danger.

Celebrity contestants were removed from their Gwrych Castle's camp in Abergele, North Wales, over the weekend for their own safety as 98mph winds ripped through the area.

Read more: All the I'm A Celebrity winners so far

But reckless intruders put their own safety and that of security staff at risk by breaking into the ITV show's production set during the storm, which they had to be removed from.

The celebrities had been moved out of the main camp area for their own safety. (ITV)
The celebrities had been moved out of the main camp area for their own safety. (ITV)

A show source said: "This was such irresponsible behaviour to put themselves and the security team in during the storm. They were trespassing on private property and creating unnecessary risks."

One of the intruders spoke to the Daily Post in North Wales, asking to remain anonymous but saying: "I was unaware the celebs had been evacuated at the time we managed to get into the castle as I don't follow the show or the news on it, but was aware the weather had been bad on the night before due to the storm so didn't know what to expect.

Ant and Dec were back on air with live shows by Tuesday. (ITV)
Ant and Dec were back on air with live shows by Tuesday. (ITV)

"I'm slightly glad the celebs were not on set as I believe If we had managed to come into contact it could have forced the whole show off air as it would have breached the programme’s COVID bubble."

Read more: Ant and Dec delighted to be back on air

The intruder added that they had hiked two hours to the castle during the devastating storm, and that they had explored "the entirety of the campmates' quarters".

A spokesperson for I'm A Celebrity said: “A security breach was identified during Storm Arwen and intruders were removed from the location with immediate effect. The safety of both our celebrities and our production crew remains our primary concern.”

Watch: Parts of I'm A Celeb cancelled as Storm Arwen hits Welsh coast

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting