Improper use, disposal of fireworks blamed in Green Bay blazes that cause an estimated $50,000 damage to two houses

Green Bay Metro Fire Department
·1 min read

GREEN BAY - Fireworks were blamed for two fires over the Fourth of July holiday, when flames displaced a total of 14 people, fire officials said.

The homes sustained a combined $50,000 in damage after fireworks sparked blazes that damaged buildings in both locations.

A fire shortly before midnight Monday caused $30,000 damage to a Green Bay house and garage, and temporarily displaced eight residents of the home, fire officials said.

The blaze, reported at 11:51 p.m. Monday, caused fire damage to a garage and smoke damage to the living quarters at 800 Edgewood Drive on the city's east side, said Tony Piontek, a battalion chief for the Green Bay Metro Fire Department. Improper disposal of fireworks caused the blaze, the city fire marshal's office said.

Eight residents of the home were displaced, Piontek said. They're being assisted by members of the American Red Cross.

Roughly 24 hours earlier, six people were displaced by smoke and flames in a three-unit building at 1363 Dousman St., on the city's west side.

Battalion Chief Eric Jeltema said the fire began on a fence, then spread to the building as firefighters raced to the scene. When units arrived, Jeltema said, flames had spread to the building's roof. Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Fire crews extinguished the blaze within 10 minutes; the building sustained smoke damage throughout. The fire marshal's office said improper disposal of fireworks caused this fire.

Residents of both buildings were able to evacuate without injury. No firefighters were hurt.

Contact Doug Schneider at (920) 431-8333, or DSchneid@gannett.com. Follow him on Twitter at @PGDougSchneider.

This article originally appeared on Green Bay Press-Gazette: Improper fireworks use, disposal blamed in two Green Bay house fires