In Darren Wilson's words: Grand jury testimony gives first look at officer's fear before Michael Brown shooting

Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson at the hospital hours after the shooting of Michael Brown. (Click image for more photos.)
Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson at the hospital hours after the shooting of Michael Brown. (Click image for more photos.)

CLAYTON, Mo. — Michael Brown had the “crazy” look of a “demon” as he barreled toward Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson in the final moments of his life.

“He turned, looked at me, made like a grunting noise and had the most intense aggressive face I’ve ever seen on a person,” Wilson told detectives the morning after he fatally shot the unarmed 18-year-old.

This is a first look at Wilson’s account of what happened in the Aug. 9 shooting, detailed in more than 100 pages of testimony revealed Monday after a grand jury did not indict the officer in Brown’s death.

Brown never put his hands up in surrender, the officer told grand jurors investigating the case.

Michael Brown and Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson (Facebook)
Michael Brown and Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson (Facebook)

But he did make a fist with his left hand — and reached under his shirt to his waistband with his right — while rushing at Wilson, according to the officer.

“I shoot a series of shots,” Wilson said. “I don't know how many I shot; I just know I shot it.”

But Brown kept coming, he said.

“It looked like he was almost bulking up to run through the shots, like it was making him mad that I’m shooting at him,” Wilson told the grand jury on Sept. 16, five weeks after the controversial shooting.

[Related: Officer Wilson's grand jury testimony]

On Monday, St. Louis County prosecutor Robert McCulloch took the unusual step of releasing volumes of testimony, photos and other evidence after a three-month grand jury probe resulted in no criminal charges. Such proceedings are typically kept secret.

Among the thousands of pages are a transcript of Wilson’s 30-minute interview with detectives in August and 90 pages of his testimony to the grand jury.

Up to now, the narrative had largely been a one-sided account about a white officer fatally shooting an unarmed black teen, who some witnesses said was trying to surrender. Wilson has not spoken publicly, and these records offer a first look at the fear he says he felt that day.

[Related: Ferguson officer's interview with detectives after the shooting]

Wilson, 28, described Brown as “very aggressive” and was convinced the teen was “gonna kill me.”

“It was just like intense,” the officer said. “I’ve never seen anybody look that, for lack of a better word, crazy.”

Brown’s family and a handful of witnesses have disputed the officer’s account. They allege Wilson was the instigator.

“We are profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions,” Brown’s parents said in a written statement Monday night.

Scene of the shooting on Canfield Drive in Ferguson (Reuters Video)
Scene of the shooting on Canfield Drive in Ferguson (Reuters Video)

In both interviews, Wilson told investigators that Brown cursed him after the officer asked the teen and his friend, Dorian Johnson, to walk on the sidewalk instead of in the middle of the street.

“What the (expletive) are you gonna do?” Wilson said Brown told him as he tried to exit his police SUV to talk to the pair.

The officer said the 6-foot-4, 289-pound teen blocked him from opening his driver’s door and “started swinging and punching at me from outside the vehicle.”

Wilson said Brown was “swingin’ wildly” and struck him in excess of 10 times in the face, neck and shoulders.

“I felt that another one of those punches in my face could knock me out or worse,” the officer said. Wilson was examined for facial injuries and prescribed pain medication at the hospital a few hours after the confrontation.

As they battled inside the SUV, the officer said he tried unsuccessfully to get hold of Brown’s arms.

“The only way I can describe it is I felt like a 5-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan,” he testified. “That’s just how big he felt and how small I felt.”

Penned in the driver’s seat, Wilson couldn’t reach his mace or baton. So he said drew his .40-caliber handgun, yelling, “Stop, I’m going to shoot you.”

“You’re too much of a (expletive) to shoot me,” Brown reportedly said and reached for Wilson’s gun.

The officer said he thought Brown was going to kill him as they wrestled for control of the gun.

“My firearm was in his control around my hand pointed directly into my hip,” Wilson said.

Officer Darren Wilson's .40-caliber service weapon. (St. Louis Co. Prosecutor)
Officer Darren Wilson's .40-caliber service weapon. (St. Louis Co. Prosecutor)

The officer said he eventually muscled the barrel toward Brown and fired. Glass and blood flew as the shot went through the car door and grazed Brown’s hand.

“He looked up at me and had the most intense aggressive face,” Wilson told the jurors. “It looks like a demon, that’s how angry he looked.”

When Brown reached back in the SUV, the officer fired a second shot but missed. This time the teen fled down the street.

Wilson gave chase but testified that he didn’t fire while he was running or shoot Brown from behind, as recounted in some witness reports.

“I was yelling at him to stop and get on the ground,” he said.

Wilson told the grand jury that he still doesn’t know why Brown stopped and came back at him.

“His whole reaction to the whole thing was something I’ve never seen,” the officer said. “I’ve never seen that much aggression so quickly from a simple request to just walk on the sidewalk.”

Wilson fired four times, striking Brown at least once.

“He’s still coming at me, he hadn’t slowed down,” Wilson told the jurors. “I’m backpedaling pretty good because I know if he reaches me, he’ll kill me.”

Brown was “8 to 10 feet away,” when the officer fired another six shots, striking the teen in the head.

“I saw the last one go into him,” Wilson said. “And then when it went into him, the demeanor on his face went blank, the aggression was gone.”

Jason Sickles is a reporter for Yahoo News. Follow him on Twitter (@jasonsickles).