Indianapolis man, Oath Keeper found guilty of misdemeanor in Jan. 6 Capitol riot

·2 min read

Update: Michael Greene on March 21, 2023 was found guilty of a misdemeanor charge of entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds in connection with the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice. The jury could not reach a verdict on his charge of obstruction of an official proceeding.

An Indianapolis man was arrested Thursday for his alleged actions in connection to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Michael Greene, 39, was indicted on five charges including conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of an official proceeding, conspiracy to prevent an officer from discharging any duties, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds and tampering with documents or proceedings. He is expected to make his initial court appearance later Friday in the Southern District of Indiana, according to a news release.

Greene, who is also known as Michael Simmons, is a member of the Oath Keepers, a far-right anti-government militia group. Many other members of the group have been arrested in connection to the Jan. 6 insurrection.

More: Here's the latest on people with Indiana ties charged after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot

Greene was named in a superseding indictment that includes seven other previously charged defendants, according to the news release.

The indictment states Greene participated in an online meeting Nov. 9, 2020, in which Elmer Stewart Rhodes III, founder and leader of the Oath Keepers, outlined a plan to stop the transfer of presidential power. Rhodes later chose Greene to be an operations leader for Jan. 6 and Greene transported firearms, ammunition and other related items to Washington D.C. in early January 2021, according to the news release.

Rhodes, 57, is facing charges of seditious conspiracy and other offenses in a separate case with eight other defendants, according to the news release.

On Jan. 6, Greene and Rhodes left their hotel in Virginia at about 8:30 a.m. and drove to an area close to the U.S. Capitol, according to the news release. Both later went to a restricted area by the Capitol and directed others to meet them at the Capitol.

More: Indiana Sen. Scott Baldwin responds to record showing he is an Oath Keepers member

According to the news release, Greene sent a text to an acquaintance at 1:42 p.m. with a message saying, "storming the capital," and a photo of a group of people advancing on the Capitol grounds. Greene continued to communicate with Rhodes and other individuals throughout the afternoon and at 3:09 p.m. he texted someone saying, "Congress evacuated."

After other Oath Keepers entered and exited the Capitol building, Greene and Rhodes met them in a plaza outside the building, according to the news release.

The indictment alleges Greene deleted certain photos and messages from his phone after Jan. 6 that showed his involvement in the Capitol riot.

Contact Madison Smalstig at or 765-7172758.

This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: Indianapolis man, Oath Keeper guilty of misdemeanor in Capitol riot