Jaelyn "JaeRene" Chapman was only 19 years old and was already known for her big voice and community involvement in Houston.
- Start with that breaking news. Within the past 20 minutes, all lanes of the West Parkway reopened-- reopened, I should say-- after that deadly wrong-way crash.
- One person has died and four other people are in bad shape in the hospital. This crash happened around 2:30 on the Westpark tollway, near Dunvale. ABC 13 reporter Courtney Fisher has been speaking with investigators all morning long. And Courtney, they say the driver who caused this was highly intoxicated.
- Yeah, and now investigators confirm they believe he was very drunk. There was possibly more in his system. He actually survived this crash, so he's in the hospital, where they're going to run some tests and figure out exactly how intoxicated he was.
As you said, Tom and Tamika, the Westpark Tollway-- all lanes reopened. But I want to show you video. The scene just cleared about 20 minutes ago, take a look.
This silver Infinity-- this is the car that the wrong-way driver was in. Again, he is expected to survive in the hospital right now. The car he crashed into is the Honda Sedan. A woman passenger in that car was the person killed. Three other people in that car hurt, and at least two of them, we know very critically injured.
Right now, the Infinity driver is charged with intoxication, manslaughter, and assault, but more charges could follow, and here's why.
- You know, what we're getting from the hospital is that there may be one or more deaths that haven't happened yet. So those charges-- we're going to hold off for a few hours to see the prognosis and whether or not, hopefully, it gets better.
- So sad. And now, the big question is how long could this driver have been going the wrong way down the Westpark Tollway? Well, the Precinct 5 chief says they just don't know at this point.
It was strange. They didn't get any 911 calls about a wrong-way driver, so it's possible that this person was so out of it that he actually turned around on the tollway and then started to go to the wrong way.
But again, that is just all preliminary. The investigation is ongoing. For now reporting live, Courtney Fisher, ABC 13, Eyewitness News.