Investigation underway at Smiths Station High School following vape incident

SMITHS STATION, Ala. (WRBL) — An investigation is underway at a local high school after a student fell ill while vaping and a deputy was later hospitalized, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

On Tuesday morning, a Smiths Station High School staff member found a distressed female student in the bathroom.

The staff member alerted the school nurse, administration and a Lee County School Resource Officer (SRO) deputy.

The student was taken to the nurse’s office. Deputies learned the student became disoriented after using a vape.

The student’s parents were notified. They checked the student out. She was in stable condition at that point.

Deputies identified another student as the source of the other students vape. When the SRO deputy began to interact with that student, they tried to hide their belongings. Among those belongings was another vape, LCSO says.

During the interaction, the SRO deputy began showing symptoms common with chemical substance exposure. The SRO deputy then self-applied NARCAN, which is typically used to treat narcotic overdose.

The SRO deputy was taken to the hospital to be evaluated.

LCSO says access to the school may be limited while the investigation is underway. The agency notes this is suspected to be an isolated incident.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to WRBL.