By Patrick Markey MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Saturday a U.S.-led coalition strike had hit an Islamic State-held area of Iraq's Mosul where residents and officials say as many as 200 civilians may have been killed as result of an air raid. The American confirmation followed a decision by Iraqi government forces to pause their drive to recapture west Mosul on Saturday because of the high rate of civilian casualties, a security forces spokesman said, a move apparently motivated by the incident. With fighting intensifying to recapture Mosul, around half a million civilians remain in Islamic State-held areas in the west of the city, complicating use of air strikes and heavy artillery to drive the hardline militants from their last major stronghold in Iraq. Iraqi forces are pushing into Mosul's Old City, where fleeing residents say militants are hiding among the civilian population, sheltering in family homes and using the narrow alleyways and streets to their advantage. What happened in the incident on March 17 in Mosul al-Jadida district is still unclear. Some residents say a coalition air strike hit an explosive-filled truck, detonating a blast that collapsed buildings packed with families. U.S. military officials say they are investigating, but initial reports from residents and Iraqi officials in the past week said dozens of people had been killed after air strikes by U.S.-led coalition forces. Mosul municipality chief, Abdul Sattar al-Habbo, who is supervising the rescue, said 240 bodies had been pulled from the rubble of collapsed buildings. Previous estimates from local officials had said around 130 people had died. The United Nations also expressed its profound concern, saying it was "stunned by this terrible loss of life". U.S. Central Command, which oversees U.S. military Middle East operations, said on Saturday that a review determined that U.S.-led coalition operation, requested by the Iraqi government, had struck Islamic State fighters and equipment "at the location corresponding to allegations of civilian casualties". It was investigating to determine the facts and the validity of reports of civilian casualties, it said. It did not specify which coalition nation carried out the strike. The exact cause of the collapses was not clear but a local lawmaker and two residents said on Thursday the air strikes may have detonated an IS truck filled with explosives, destroying buildings in the heavily-populated area. The speaker of the Iraqi parliament, Salim al-Jabouri, said in a statement: "What's happening in the west part of Mosul is extremely serious and could not be tolerated under any circumstances." Up to 600,000 civilians are still believed to remain in IS-held areas of Mosul, a challenge to the government offensive tactically but also politically as the Shi'ite Muslim-led government seeks to avoid alienating people in the mainly Sunni city. NEW TACTICS Residents escaping besieged western Mosul have told of Iraqi and U.S.-led coalition air strikes demolishing buildings and killing civilians in several cases. The insurgents have also used civilians as human shields and opened fire on them as they try to escape Islamic State-held neighborhoods, fleeing residents said. "The recent high death toll among civilians inside the Old City forced us to halt operations to review our plans," a Federal Police spokesman said on Saturday. "It's a time for weighing new offensive plans and tactics. No combat operations are to go on." The offensive to drive Islamic State out of Mosul, now in its sixth month, has recaptured the entire eastern side of Mosul and about half of the west. But advances have stuttered in the last two weeks as fighting enters the alleys of the Old City, home to the al-Nuri mosque where Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a caliphate spanning large areas of Iraq and Syria in 2014. "We need to make sure that taking out Daesh (Islamic State) from the Old City will not cost unwanted high casualties among civilians. We need surgical accurate operations to target terrorists without causing collateral damage among residents," the Federal Police spokesman said. A U.S. deputy commanding general for the coalition told Reuters on Friday that the solution could lie in a change of tactics. The Iraqi military is assessing opening up another front and isolating the Old City, U.S. Army Brigadier General John Richardson said. Fleeing residents have described grim living conditions inside IS-held parts of Mosul, saying there was no running water or electricity and no food coming in. But families are streaming out of the northern city, Iraq's second largest, in their thousands each day, headed for cold, crowded camps or to stay with relatives. Hunger and fighting are making life unbearable inside. The Iraqi Observatory for Human Rights said that since the campaign on western Mosul began on Feb. 19, unconfirmed reports said nearly 700 civilians had been killed by government and coalition air strikes or Islamic State actions. The militants have used car bombs, snipers and mortar fire to counter the offensive. They have also stationed themselves in homes belonging to Mosul residents to fire at Iraqi troops, often drawing air or artillery strikes that have killed civilians. The United Nations chief humanitarian official, Lise Grande, said civilians were at extreme risk as the fighting intensified and all sides must to do their utmost to avoid such casualties. "International humanitarian law is clear. Parties to the conflict — all parties – are obliged to do everything possible to protect civilians. This means that combatants cannot use people as human shields and cannot imperil lives through indiscriminate use of fire-power," she said in a statement. (Additional reporting by Ahmed Rasheed and Alaa Mohammad in Baghdad and Jonathan Landay in Washington; Writing by Angus MacSwan in Erbil; Editing by Bernard Orr and David Evans)
Hurricane Ian strengthened into a major Category 3 hurricane overnight.
In Katie Nicholl's upcoming book "The New Royals," she writes that Queen Elizabeth intervened when Meghan Markle clashed with a royal staffer.
Shania Twain is 57 years old and feeling fabulous — so fabulous that she decided to celebrate her latest music video, “Waking Up Dreaming,” with a few topless snapshots. It’s her way of letting fans know she loves this season in her life. The beautiful thing about Twain’s gorgeous new photos, with her shiny white […]
- The Advocate
Buttigieg did not come to play.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Originally Wanted to Move to a "Suite of Apartments" in Windsor Castle
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry wanted to move into Windsor Castle before the Queen offered them Frogmore Cottage, which was a "big deal."
- Fox News
Prince Harry was 'obsessed' with Archie's private birth, Meghan thought ordeal was 'barbaric': royal expert
Prince Harry was "obsessed" with keeping his first child's birth a secret from the media and public. Archie was born to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2019.
- Ukrayinska Pravda
Russian offensive in Donetsk Oblast to go down in history as example of killing own soldiers Zelenskyy
ALONA MAZURENKO - MONDAY, 26 SEPTEMBER 2022, 23:50 President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine has said that the actions of the Russian army in Donetsk Oblast are prime examples of the most cynical murders of their own soldiers, and that the mobilisation in the Russian Federation was mainly a way to gain new cannon fodder.
Trump has called several GOP donors who contributed money to Ron DeSantis asking them to stop boosting the Florida governor: report
Former President Trump has tracked appearances made by DeSantis, while also monitoring the governor's poll numbers, per The Washington Post.
- The Daily Beast
Hannah McKay - WPA Pool/Getty ImagesPrince Harry was so unhappy with his life as a working royal that Meghan’s work in helping him find an escape route should be recognized, a source has said.In his new book, Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown, which is being serialized by The Times of London, Valentine Low cites “a surprising source—someone who knows Harry well but remains upset about what Harry and Meghan did”—as saying: “There is a part of me that thinks Meghan did Harry the greates
- Women's Health
Bella Hadid has been making the most of the quarantine sunshine, and posted a series of revealing bikini pics, showing her underboob on Instagram to prove it.
Critics of GOP Senate nominee Mehmet Oz say this attempted slam only makes his Democratic rival seem cooler.
Kate Middleton Will Receive the Majority of Queen Elizabeth’s Jewelry Collection—But There’s a Catch
The royal family has been sorting through Queen Elizabeth’s affairs ever since she passed away at age 96. They already confirmed that her corgis have found a new home, but the world is wondering what will happen to Her Majesty’s jewelry collection. Tim Graham Picture Library/Getty Images Kate Middleton will reportedly receive the “lion’s share” of Queen Elizabeth’s accessories. However, King Charles’s wife Camilla Parker Bowles (aka the Queen Consort) will get to pick first. Max Mumby/Indigo/Get
Designers big and small embraced the trend probably as a reaction to looming uncertainty.
A former palace insider said Meghan Markle believed she would be 'the Beyoncé of the UK,' new book claims
The claim was made by a former palace insider in Valentine Low's upcoming book, "Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown."
- Ukrayinska Pravda
STANISLAV POHORILOV - TUESDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER 2022, 11:54 Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chairman of the Russian Security Council believes that Russia can launch a nuclear strike on Ukraine with impunity, since NATO countries will not take retaliatory steps, worrying about their own security.
A Bay Area woman, returning from a technology conference in Florida, was allegedly assaulted on board an airplane by another passenger using his seatback.
Adults Are Sharing The Now-Discontinued Foods From Childhood They Would Give Anything To Eat Again, And I Haven't Thought About Ritz Bitz S'mores In Sooo Long
"One of my earliest memories is when I was five years old, sharing one of these with my childhood best friend. I would do anything to find them again now."View Entire Post ›
- Miami Herald
Video shows the suspect fumbled to explain his shotgun.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback made a massive mistake in the closing seconds against Green Bay.
- The Daily Beast
Photo Illustration by Thomas Levinson/The Daily Beast/GettyFormer President Donald Trump has learned time and again that the best way to kill legal action is to first delay it. And while Trump’s “special master” gambit initially showed promise in that regard, the tactic may have actually backfired and put him on a fast-track collision course with the federal government he once led.Two separate court decisions last week have empowered the FBI to move swiftly in its investigation against Trump for